1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feel worse than horrible...lost my first bird due to my own stupidity

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 1stepcloser, Sep 29, 2009.

1. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I made the incredibly stupid and naive mistake of trusting my dog around my bird. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I read your posts and somehow thought I knew better. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] She killed one of my layers today. I came home to find black feathers everywhere. After searching and searching I found my girl. She had gone to die in a empty potting container. I feel sick and just want to cry. Lesson learned in a horrible, horrible way. We will be rebuilding their run to accommodate the chickens 24 hours a day. There will be no more free ranging unless I am out there. Period. Nor will any of my dogs ever be trusted around them again. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I feel like crap...as I should. (((sigh))) What was I thinking?! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I am sorry for your loss

3. quail newbie

quail newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    [​IMG] It's ok, sometimes those things happen. Don't beat yourself up over it.

5. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    I'm sooooo very sorry for the loss !!! Poor chickie !
    We all do stupid stuff thinking it will be ok. I have Toy and Mini Poodles and wouldn't trust one of them with my bird kids.
    I guess we just have to learn from our mistakes. Don't beat yourself up over it, it won't help.

Liz
    Rochester, MA

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Please don't beat yourself up. Several weeks ago I lost 37 chickens and 5 guineas to my own 2 dogs. I was beside myself, physically ill, and couldn't believe that it happened. All we can do is work harder to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

I was so cocky that I would never lose a chicken to a predator, especially not to my own dogs until a series of accidents happened. You can never be too prepared.

Sending you bunches of hugs.

Laurie

7. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    Just remember, once a dog gets a taste of the blood, they will not stop going after the chickens.

8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    First heres a (((HUG))). Secondly take a deep breath and please realize that we all have made mistakes when it comes to our chickens. Mine was thinking I could leave my little silkies out alone to free range for 15 to 20 min. while I did something in the house, I knew about our hawk situation but none the less....I lost my smallest silkie to a hawk, I watched in horror as it carried him off and there was nothing I could do. As I said we all make mistakes and we learn from them!

9. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Thank you everyone. I still feel like pond scum. Poor Pepper totally trusted me and I let her down. Happi, I don't doubt you. The only thing I can say is I will NEVER leave them unattended around my dogs again. EVER.

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So sorry for your loss. We all make mistakes and although it hurts, you just gotta learn from it and move on. Again, so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by