First time raising meat birds - my journey of raising Cornish X in the city

You'll do great!

Something that helps me is to think, if you let them grow too much longer, you'll only be torturing them. It's almost a mercy to end it at the right time. Even better that nothing will go to waste.

I say thank you to each one when I dispatch them. It seems to help

I pet them and tell them what good birds they've been and how they've had a good life but now it's time.

Well, we're on a break now. After getting the water heated and everything setup, I think we began killing the chickens at about 9 or 9:30. It's 11:30 now and we have only gotten 2 chickens done! The kills went swiftly, but plucking was tedious and we also had trouble locating certain organs when eviscerating. I'm still unsure if I got the crop out. But now that we are done with those two, they do look pretty decent. I hope we did everything right. I'm feeling a little discouraged because of how slow we are going and because I cut something yucky open near the vent that smelled, and also bursted the bile duct (but luckily I pulled the bird away quick enough so none got on it). Lots of rookie mistakes going on here, but I guess we are rookies. Our friend who was supposed to help us wasn't able to make it today.
signal-2022-11-06-11-35-20-059.jpg

Well, we're on a break now. After getting the water heated and everything setup, I think we began killing the chickens at about 9 or 9:30. It's 11:30 now and we have only gotten 2 chickens done! The kills went swiftly, but plucking was tedious and we also had trouble locating certain organs when eviscerating. I'm still unsure if I got the crop out. But now that we are done with those two, they do look pretty decent. I hope we did everything right. I'm feeling a little discouraged because of how slow we are going and because I cut something yucky open near the vent that smelled, and also bursted the bile duct (but luckily I pulled the bird away quick enough so none got on it). Lots of rookie mistakes going on here, but I guess we are rookies. Our friend who was supposed to help us wasn't able to make it today.View attachment 3314381
Great job, learning from mistakes is the best way to learn.

Thank you guys! After a quick lunch break, we are back at it now.
The only way you can learn here is by doing. Removing all the internal organs cannot be described or shown. You get a general idea but it all comes down to feel.

What does the heart feel like? Oh the gizzard is the big hard thing. How hard do I pull without worrying about breaking the bile sac or intestines? Etc.

Experience is the only good teacher here. My first time was nearly an hour per bird too considering set up and cleaning. I'm now down to 20 minutes (granted I invested in a plucker!)

Well, we're on a break now. After getting the water heated and everything setup, I think we began killing the chickens at about 9 or 9:30. It's 11:30 now and we have only gotten 2 chickens done! The kills went swiftly, but plucking was tedious and we also had trouble locating certain organs when eviscerating. I'm still unsure if I got the crop out. But now that we are done with those two, they do look pretty decent. I hope we did everything right. I'm feeling a little discouraged because of how slow we are going and because I cut something yucky open near the vent that smelled, and also bursted the bile duct (but luckily I pulled the bird away quick enough so none got on it). Lots of rookie mistakes going on here, but I guess we are rookies. Our friend who was supposed to help us wasn't able to make it today.View attachment 3314381
My first few were very slow, and I didn't get the lungs out, I think I missed the crop on one of them, and overall they were rather messy.
I would think everyone's first ones are the same, so don't get discouraged!

My first few were very slow, and I didn't get the lungs out, I think I missed the crop on one of them, and overall they were rather messy.
I would think everyone's first ones are the same, so don't get discouraged!

Yes.

The only reason I got my first ones gutted properly is that I was a biology major who had done many dissections.

I broke some stuff and make a mess of a couple my most recent batch so it can happen to anyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom