Feeling Very Guilty...Need Advice

I almost took my last shelter dog back, things did not go well with my existing dog.
The shelter talked me down, gave me some tips, and we worked it out.
He ended up being the best of all my 3 dogs.

Hang in there :hugs:hugs:hugs
Thank you for the reassurance. I'm still 50/50 at this point. We got him from an actual dog pound and the Dog Warden isn't and wasn't much of a resource. I'm trying my best for now.

Any new dog is going to be a real risk to your chickens!
You did pick a sweet guy, who hasn't had a good life, and he is going to be a challenge. This is a marathon, not going to be fixed in two weeks, so TRY to relax and think LONG HAUL, but worth it.
Every interaction is a training interaction! He's smart, stressed, and looking for direction, and that's you. He's also, if actually the breeds mentioned, going to have that very high prey drive, and very high need for exercise, and walking on lead isn't enough. Too bad you don't train for marathons! A tired dog is a good dog...
Actually, if you do have a friend who runs, maybe they would like a running buddy, and could take him out for you. Dog parks, maybe, but they can be danger zones, especially with a new dog who's not really bonded to you yet. And off lead except within fencing, no way!
One of my rescue dogs couldn't be crated either, and we had to literally chain him to a metal post in the garage if we left him alone, until the house training was good.
It can be possible to crate train through this, and deal with the separation anxiety so many rescue dogs experience, and it often takes meds with the retraining to work. Your vet is a resource here, and if there's a veterinary behaviorist available, find out!
Mary
Hi, thanks for the kind words. I grew up with hunting dogs (Brittanys and GSPs) so I know all too well that a tired dog is a good dog! Haha. I've been trying to "tire" him out, especially before bed, with no luck. Tried having him chase me with a tennis ball, and he chases me for about 2 minutes then looses interest (goes off to hunt rabbits). Tried having him chase me while riding on the quad, runs off to sniff/hunt out a rabbit/squirrel/etc. He will get the zoomies and go nuts for about 3-5 minutes about every other day, but then plops down and doesn't want to move. I'm not sure if it's because he's not used to running/playing or if he's just bored and wants to rest. He enjoys walking, so I've been doing that 3 times a day.
I'm going to the vet July 15 (earliest appt. I could get), hoping he/she will be a good resource to help me or make recommendations for a behaviorist. Just trying to survive for now.

It’s totally okay! July 15th is only a few weeks away. That’s not so bad! I know it’s so stressful right now, but you can make it work, on the contrary, you are not a terrible person if you can’t! Not all dogs fit with every household. If it is so upsetting to you that your chickens will have to live a different lifestyle, you can find your dog another loving home. It doesn’t make you a bad person. Your own personal well being matters as well.

I wish behavioral training happened quickly and was predictable but it’s a long (sometimes arduous) process that really never ends. My dog is 6 years old and he still needs reminders and upkeep in his training.

I am not sure where you live, but Google Judy Moore (www.caninebehaviorcounseling.com). She is a trainer here in Maine, where I live. I know she does phone consultations. That could be a place to start. Take care!
July seems light-years away right now, even though I will blink and it will be here!! I'm 50/50 at this point, but I'm hoping it will work out.

I will look at Judy Moore's website/resources. I've been trying to call other trainers/behavior professionals and have not had any luck today (leaving lots of voicemails or they are not accepting new clients at this time). Trying to stay positive.

Hi there!

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation :hugsLoving animals can be difficult sometimes. I just wanted to add that my dad has border collies and one loves to play with toys, chew on bones, etc but the other wants nothing to do with them. We talked to our trainer and he said some Border Collies just have a natural instinct to work, not play. It is very evident in the one that doesn't play with any toys. However, just like your dog he loves to walk and run so I hope that helps you to know that not all dogs love toys or bones to chew on:love You are doing a great job and dogs take time to adjust. The recent border collie we got is 2 years old and she was never an inside dog. We've had her for almost 4 months now and it took a solid 2-3 months for her to come around personality wise and to be house broken. Don't give up, you got it!

Hi there!

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation :hugsLoving animals can be difficult sometimes. I just wanted to add that my dad has border collies and one loves to play with toys, chew on bones, etc but the other wants nothing to do with them. We talked to our trainer and he said some Border Collies just have a natural instinct to work, not play. It is very evident in the one that doesn't play with any toys. However, just like your dog he loves to walk and run so I hope that helps you to know that not all dogs love toys or bones to chew on:love You are doing a great job and dogs take time to adjust. The recent border collie we got is 2 years old and she was never an inside dog. We've had her for almost 4 months now and it took a solid 2-3 months for her to come around personality wise and to be house broken. Don't give up, you got it!
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement:hugsThat's reassuring to know that not all dogs like to play with toys, I've tried everything I can think of in that regard! I'm hoping once his personality comes out, I will find something that we both enjoy that can exercise him properly. I think the obedience training will help immensely too.

I'm just so distraught over this whole situation, one that I put myself in. I'm an animal lover (I literally just saved a large box turtle that was in the middle of the road on my way to the grocery store last week), but this entire situation is changing my outlook. I'm hoping I'll look back on these posts in 6 months (or more) and laugh thinking how silly I was about all this! Getting to that point just seems to distant and dim right now, but I think the right decision is to have more time to make an actual decision:fl

Thanks for sharing that. Is this working? Is your dog food-oriented enough that you are seeing progress?
He is definitely food and praise motivated. It's working ok (not great, not horribly bad), I think his pit bull-ness comes out during training because he only focuses for about 5 minutes, then doesn't seem to care anymore. I'm trying to be as patient as I can be, I'm hoping to work on this as much as I can until I can get an appointment/classes set up with the trainer.

Your dog sounds like our dog...who is a lab crossed with some other hunting breed and wants to hunt our cats...we've managed to keep them alive so far, but we know we can't get chickens with her around. Somebody else in a thread about a lab said that when their dog killed a chicken as a puppy they did a jeckle and hyde thing where they picked up a chew toy in one hand, dead chicken in the other, and was nice to them and played with them when they went for the chew toy, but yelled at them and was mean when they went for the bird. Their dog gets along great with chickens now. Of course your dog doesn't like chew toys at all...so you'd have to substitute something else, and u don't want the dog to kill a chicken, but if it does end up happening u ight as well try it. If you can find the dog another home you may have to, and be more careful when picking your next dog if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom