Feeling Very Guilty...Need Advice

Pics
Praise is much more important than food! He's never had to concentrate on training before, and doesn't see the point. Keep it up! Short frequent sessions are fine, especially if you quit before he does.
Mary
Thank you! I'm trying to keep them short sessions, inside the house, within our guest bedroom that has minimal distractions.

Your dog sounds like our dog...who is a lab crossed with some other hunting breed and wants to hunt our cats...we've managed to keep them alive so far, but we know we can't get chickens with her around. Somebody else in a thread about a lab said that when their dog killed a chicken as a puppy they did a jeckle and hyde thing where they picked up a chew toy in one hand, dead chicken in the other, and was nice to them and played with them when they went for the chew toy, but yelled at them and was mean when they went for the bird. Their dog gets along great with chickens now. Of course your dog doesn't like chew toys at all...so you'd have to substitute something else, and u don't want the dog to kill a chicken, but if it does end up happening u ight as well try it. If you can find the dog another home you may have to, and be more careful when picking your next dog if at all possible.
If we do rehome or surrender him back to the dog pound, I don't plan to get another dog/cat/etc. I will stick with chickens.

Here’s something funny… I went out to lunch today and when I came home one of my six week old chicks had gotten out of their pen somehow but I still haven’t figured it out. Either he squeezed through the welded wire or flew over the top of the door but both have been fixed now. When I let my dogs out, my 2 year old lab mix went straight for it but luckily he had his Correction collar on and listens very well because he stopped dead in his tracks and I got the baby back to safety. Of course it was one of my favorite chicks, a little cockerel named Rudy. All is well now.

Hi, thanks for the kind words. I grew up with hunting dogs (Brittanys and GSPs) so I know all too well that a tired dog is a good dog! Haha. I've been trying to "tire" him out, especially before bed, with no luck. Tried having him chase me with a tennis ball, and he chases me for about 2 minutes then looses interest (goes off to hunt rabbits). Tried having him chase me while riding on the quad, runs off to sniff/hunt out a rabbit/squirrel/etc. He will get the zoomies and go nuts for about 3-5 minutes about every other day, but then plops down and doesn't want to move. I'm not sure if it's because he's not used to running/playing or if he's just bored and wants to rest. He enjoys walking, so I've been doing that 3 times a day.
I'm going to the vet July 15 (earliest appt. I could get), hoping he/she will be a good resource to help me or make recommendations for a behaviorist. Just trying to survive for now.
Do you have any experience with a weighted vest? If used right, they’re amazing tools to wear a dog out. Being he likes walks, this may be your ticket. I’m currently introducing my lab to one. Adopted dogs - whether rescue, pound, humane society - all have a decompression period. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months are the turning points. His world has just been flipped upside down. Thank you for having patience and working with him!

Do you have any experience with a weighted vest? If used right, they’re amazing tools to wear a dog out. Being he likes walks, this may be your ticket. I’m currently introducing my lab to one. Adopted dogs - whether rescue, pound, humane society - all have a decompression period. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months are the turning points. His world has just been flipped upside down. Thank you for having patience and working with him!
No I don't have any experience with a weighted vest. I will have to read up on it. If you have any references you'd like to pass along (online, blogs, books, etc.) about the vests, please let me know.
I've read about the "Rules of 3", and am trying to think long term. Difficult for me to do right now, but I'm trying.

354DE5BD-CC7C-4230-94C4-B57FDC3588E4.jpeg
Here’s something funny… I went out to lunch today and when I came home one of my six week old chicks had gotten out of their pen somehow but I still haven’t figured it out. Either he squeezed through the welded wire or flew over the top of the door but both have been fixed now. When I let my dogs out, my 2 year old lab mix went straight for it but luckily he had his Correction collar on and listens very well because he stopped dead in his tracks and I got the baby back to safety. Of course it was one of my favorite chicks, a little cockerel named Rudy. All is well now.
This is our potential “chicken eater”… He is also a shelter dog but is a wonderful dog just don’t leave him alone with your chickens 😂

What are you using for treats when training? If he's losing interest quickly, either your treats are too big or they are not high enough "value." Or both. Try tiny bits of hot dog. And only give one per right response. Make him work for it, and quit while he's still motivated. Don't work to the point that he loses interest. Several short sessions a day will bring you success much sooner than one marathon session that leaves him bored.

Back
Top Bottom