feet are swollen...pictures updated

She is 7-8 months. She hasn't been eating a lot. I got some yogurt and oatmeal in her today, then this evening she at a little bit of feed with water and yogurt mixed in. She doesn't get grit, b/c all the chickens get is reg chicken feed, and I was told they don't need grit when they eat the feed only.

The bottoms seem to look normal. I will try to get a pic of it. I did have her seperated in a dog kennel, but I"m afraid she was getting cold b/c it has been cold and rainy here.

Not sure - but I am thinking bumblefoot.

If she were my girl, I would soak her feet - get the sink, small bucket or dishpan ready with a couple inches of warm, warm water, pour some epsom salts in if you have any, bring her in to the house and sit with her soaking her feet. If I could do it for 5 minutes I would be happy, longer if possible (cannot imagine how much she hurts). Then I would feel the bottoms of her feet - from what I have read about Bumble you should feel a hard callous like scab on the bottom of her foot if she has it. May or may not be black. I would also gently feel her swollen feet - are they watery or sorry - yuck - pus filled feeling?

If it is bumble - there are fantastic threads on here about how to treat it. Just use the "Search" in the blue bar above - just above your logged in user name. It will allow you to search for Bumblefoot in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and cures thread and just search titles (you can also search thread body or title and thread body).

Oh poor girl -
hugs.gif
for you both.

Last edited:
Could be bumblefoot- hard to tell from the photos. I would be more concerned about gout secondary to kidney disease. Gout can be visceral (inside the body) or articular (around the joints). Any chance you can take her to the vet for bloodwork? If she is in kidney failure, soaking her feet & trying to open any of those swellings will not help her, only cause stress and pain. Take a look at other joints you can see and feel (her wrists and elbows + her hocks)- are they swollen or normal compared to another bird that is acting and walking normally?

Quote:

Quote:
Can you put her someplace where you can keep her warm? I used my old brooder set up as a hospital cage for one of our hens and she really seemed to appreciate the extra warmth. I set up the lamp so she could move closer or farther away from it as she preferred.

look at the threads here on bumblefoot and also search for swollen feet and see what you find.
Without a good soak youre not gonna know if its that. Bumblefoot has a black callous that can be quite small or larger. It is a staph infection and is very hard to cure.
You wont know unless you clean up those feet, soak them if you can and keep her someplace warm like in the basement or garage....
Take a look at the few different discussions here and look at the pics, and if you figure that it is that, decide on your course of action before getting into anything.
I have a tendency to just pick a callus off without thinking just to see whats underneath it. I was lucky that I saved the plug that popped out so that I could compare it to the pics posted here.
Her feet look terrible...bumblefoot is horrible...cand be careful because staff is contagious when you open it up...but at the same time, if thats what it is, you have to get it out.
I only ever had one hen with it and I hope thats it!
Melina

I have looked, and read a lot about bumble foot. And to me that just doesn't sound like it. That's why I'm leaning towards Avian Arthritis. If it is the arthritis, I just wonder if it is contagious to the other chickens...

I have been searching since Sunday what could be her problem, and nothing matches up...I'm lost.

If you really want to save/help this girl (some prefer to cull any weakness) then you need to separate her (perhaps with a buddy?) to a place that is temperature stable and free of drafts (yet ventilated) and WARM and dry > when a bird is ill they are often unable to stabilize their temps and cold stress will weaken them even further and whatever is ailing them will get worse.

Once you have done that (and she should perk up quite a bit just from this) then you need to get a good general supplement like aviaCharge 2000 (available only from an online source such as McMurry or Strombergs) > add this to her feed by mixing it with a bit of cooked human oatmeal and then mixing that through her feed.
If you absolutely cannot get that then you can buy baby parrot/bird formula (which is a powder > you mix it with water) and then mix that through her feed > it will concentrate the nutrition .

Again... COLD stress will exacerbate any condition associated with sore joints etc.

As far as viral arthritis , it may also be one of the many REO viruses...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom