Feline leukemia?*Updated* #2 He's gone :(

Sonia

Songster
11 Years
Apr 19, 2008
SE Oklahoma
I just talked to the vet and they think my daughter's cat may have it. Has anyone else had a cat with this? What are the symptoms? I have to call back in an hour for the test results.

Last edited:
You want to know about feline leukemia symptoms? Fever, vomiting, diarrhea, anemia, breathing problems, weight loss, reproductive failure ... The signs are variable, and the disease is very serious.

Be aware that this disease is contagious.

It is spread through saliva, feces, urine and sometimes also milk. The virus doesn’t survive for long outside the body, but still you should be aware of the dangers if you have a multi-cat household.

If you have two cats and one is ill, give the healthy cat a separate litter box – or even better, an automatic litter box. Also, keep your ill cat isolated.

However, not all infected felines get ill. But:

Once your cat gets leukemia symptoms, it is almost always fatal.

There are no drugs or vaccine to fight this virus. Some medicines may produce a remission of feline leukemia symptoms, but this is only temporary. Since treatment is not possible, euthanasia is often the only solution.

This is from http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/feline-leukemia-symptoms.html.

ETA: Does she have any other cats? If so, make sure that you get them vaccinated for Felina Leukemia. I hope that the kitty doesnt have it. Let me know how the test results go.

Last edited:
My daughter is only 11. Yes we have another cat. They have both been vaccinated. Both cats are spayed/neutered if that makes any difference. They are indoors only.

Yes they have both been vaccinated. Last april as kittens and again this year.

His symptoms are swollen and gummy eyes, congestion and difficulty breathing.

ETA: No they haven't been around other cats as they are indoor only.

Last edited:
If you got them as kittens and vaccinated them then and again this year and they stay indoors it is highly unlikely to be feline leukemia. Probably as Trisha and others said just a "cold".

I did have an adult cat that I got from the pound that had feline leukemia and it contstantly had URIs for the six months that I was able to keep it alive with constant vet visits and lots of drugs and treatments only to have it get sick again the next month till it finally died. As others said - it is usually fatal but not always. That's the way my vet explained it so I went to all measures and lots of expense to try and keep the cat alive but it didn't make it.

However, I don't think that's what your cat has and the vet shouldn't have said anything till they had tested it. It's a simple test taken in office that only takes a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom