Feline Respiratory infections

kryptoniteqhs

Rosecomb Rich
12 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Norco, CA
Ok
Theres this cat at the shelter thats been there for months. His name is Oreo, he is black and white and very pretty. Hes huge, hes two years old and is the sweetest cuddliest kitty ever! He was given up because he had AN (as in one) accident in the house. He always uses the litter box at the shelter tho. Anyways I was thinking of adopting him. But, I noticed he had a little sniffle and his nose was bleeding a teeny tiny bit. I asked if they had treated it. They said hes had it since he was dropped off there and they treated with amoxicillan and that didnt work too well so they just started him on something a little stronger (tremedol keeps popping in my head, but im not sure if thats what she said). Anywho, I have another cat at my house (not mine, my roommates) and the way I understand it is once a cat gets a respiratory infection it will always be in their system. It will go dormant and is treatable, but will always come back. I dont want my roommate's cat to get it and have to be treated forever. Her cat is 5. Oreo, the cat at the shelter, doesnt have any snot or goo coming out of his nose, just a little sniffle and I noticed a teeny bit of blood out of one nostril. What do you guys think?

I have been involved in cat rescue for years and have worked as a vet clinic manager for 11 years. I routinely take in kittens with chronic respiratory infections. I would make certain he is tested for FIV/FELV (feline aids and leukemia). He very likely has a chronic upper respiratory infection. If the FIV/FELV test is negative I would feel fine about adopting him if the roomates cat is well vaccinated with the feline upper respiratory combo. He probably has the calici virus which is included in the upper respiratory combo vaccine. He could also have feline bordetella which is very common in shelter environments. When you take him home keep him isolated from the other cat for at least 2 weeks. As long as his upper respiratory symptoms go away then allow supervised meeting with the roommates cat until you know all is well and that they seem to get along. Good luck.

Deena

Good advice from Deena!
smile.png

My kitty had an upper respiratory infection a few years ago, and the vet prescribed clavamox- her sniffles went away and haven't been back.

Back
Top Bottom