Felting

Pics
Earlobe #1.
20220217_210900.jpg

I don't think I have the room.
If you have a large pot (like for canning), access to a stove and sink, you can dye wool in small batches. I got a window screen (make sure it's not metal) to lay over the sink for the wool to drip dry. Then I put it in a mesh bag and hung it over a furnace vent to finish drying.

If you have a large pot (like for canning), access to a stove and sink, you can dye wool in small batches. I got a window screen (make sure it's not metal) to lay over the sink for the wool to drip dry. Then I put it in a mesh bag and hung it over a furnace vent to finish drying.
I don't think I'd be allowed to use one of our large pots for that.

I don't think I'd be allowed to use one of our large pots for that.
True... it has to become the "dye pot." Here's something that blew my mind though...

I have one of those enamel on steel canners, the dark blue/black with white specks to use as a dye pot. I'd used it with Gay Wool several times, then tried some Kool-Aid, just for fun. The enamel surface was changed by the Kool-Aid. It looked like it had been etched, like etched glass.

And I used to drink that stuff...?!? If it did that to enamel on steel, what did it do to my stomach or my teeth?

True... it has to become the "dye pot." Here's something that blew my mind though...

I have one of those enamel on steel canners, the dark blue/black with white specks to use as a dye pot. I'd used it with Gay Wool several times, then tried some Kool-Aid, just for fun. The enamel surface was changed by the Kool-Aid. It looked like it had been etched, like etched glass.

And I used to drink that stuff...?!? If it did that to enamel on steel, what did it do to my stomach or my teeth?
I'll have to look around to see what we have around. Maybe I can talk my dad, or grandpa if I can use an old pressure cooker for that.

Kool aid has citric acid, like other fruity drinks.

Back
Top Bottom