Female being attacked by male

RenningRanch

Hatching
Sep 19, 2021
I have a male duck who has 4 females. I also have a Mascovy male that has 2 females. One female is being singled out, possibly exclusively for mating by both males. She "belongs" to the Mascovy but the other male is relentlessly attacking her to the point of injury. What can I do to stop this?

You need to separate her or rehome her. Sorry this happens sometimes. I don't know why. My tiny KC female became her dads favorite and ended up bloody. I moved her to a different flock. Once they become a favorite I don't know any other solution than removing them.

Get rid of one of your males. This ratio is off. Recommended ratio is at minimum 1:4. There is no "belonging" when it comes to ducks. If you only had the muscovy, the muscovy drake needs at least 4 females as they go broody too often. One male can clearly handle 6 females. Also, if any drake is attacking a female, they need to be gone. This would go for both. I would separate out of sight one of the males to see if he continues the behavior without the other male to contend with.

Back
Top Bottom