Female Bobwhite found dead

Bobwhites

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 11, 2013
I just found one of my female bobwhites dead and I'm wondering if it was because she was laying too many eggs. I'm still pretty new to bobwhites but I know chickens can have "blow-outs"; I'm wondering if that's what this was. I found her in the nest box with 5 eggs; there was a little blood under her and she had a small wound on her belly, not where she lays from. I've had problems in the past with aggression during the mating season but there were no signs of that this time. I had 2 males and 6 females and I suspect she was my main layer. Any ideas as to what could have happened? Also she was 1-2 years old.

Give her a good inspection. She could have been egg bound. Check the vent area to see if she had prolapse of her uterus. Feel her breast bone to see if she was of healthy weight or too thin. Check for mites or lice. Look around the face and nostrils for any respiratory ailments.

The average age of captive quail is 2 to 5 years. There is no guarantee she didn't have some genetic issue going on. All you can do is look her over well for clues. Dissecting them can tell you alot as well.

Make sure the hens all have crushed oyster shell available to them at all times. Clean fresh water at all times as well.

So sorry your lost your bird.
hugs.gif

Sorry you lost the little gal. I hate to say it but like TwoCrows said, they just die sometimes. Not to say that this couldn't have been worms, lice, or another ailment but it isn't necessarily something that will hurt your other birds.

I am pretty new to the quail business but I've already done about 300 of them from birth. Out of that bunch, some die at 1 day ( about 1%) some die at about two weeks ( another 1%) and then there are a few random deaths of weaklings throughout the lifespan. Nothing to necessarily explain it.

It's kind of tough with bobwhites since they are so difficult to handle. With the wound, sounds like she could have been stressed from bullying which would have weakened her immune system.

Thank you for the advice and ideas. I don't think I'll ever get used to losing them. I didn't see any signs of her being egg bound or mites, lice or anything of that nature. It honestly did not even occur to me that maybe she died of old age; I've never had that happen before, there has always been an obvious cause. I feel a little better thinking that may be the case. Thank you again guys.

Back
Top Bottom