female buff goose

This looks neurological.

This could be lead or zinc poisoning, other possibilities could be botulism or Newcastle disease. Newcastle is rare in geese and if they do get it, they tend to have mild symptoms, but Newcastle does cause neurological issues.

Trauma to the brain or a stroke are another possibility. I had a gander that suffered a stroke after being grabbed by a dog, he had completly different symptoms to this but brain damage is a tricky thing that manifests in different ways according to the location of the injury. Only time can tell if they’re able to recover, they can with proper care and time in many cases.

Her symptoms are critical, this looks a lot like severe heavy metal poisoning “lead or zinc.” It causes their digestive system to slow down and become constipated while causing neurological issues.
You can give her activated charcoal and peanut butter to try and flush her system, make sure she gets lots of fluids with that though, and she should only be eating watery foods like fruit, berries, melon, or watery mash so that she has a better chance of passing any food or objects she may have swallowed.

Unfortunatly metal toxicity causes organ damage and can be difficult to treat. It can stay in the bloodstream for a long time so typical treatment is to give injections of a chelating agent once or twice a week for several weeks along with possible surgery to remove metal if it doesn’t leave her system naturally. Zinc leaves the system more easily than lead so it has a better prognosis.

Botulism can be treated if it’s treated immediately. Botulism is usually lethal in a short amount of time so I’m leaning away from this being the cause as she’s still alive, I am not a vet though so I may be wrong.

I know this is a lot to take in and I’m so sorry for you and your goose. I hope she pulls through.
i will look into thing and give her peanut butter and see if that works thank you a lot

i will look into thing and give her peanut butter and see if that works thank you a lot
The peanut butter can help her to pass anything she may have swallowed, but it isn’t a cure. I hope she pulls through, I know how hard it is having a sick bird and not being able to get them to a vet, there’s a lot of us in or who have been in situations like this and we have to do the best we can.

You also could try getting her some poultry nutri-drench and durvet b vitamin complex “it says injectible but it can be swallowed,” to give her organs some extra support as she fights whatever caused her sickness.

The peanut butter can help her to pass anything she may have swallowed, but it isn’t a cure. I hope she pulls through, I know how hard it is having a sick bird and not being able to get them to a vet, there’s a lot of us in or who have been in situations like this and we have to do the best we can.

You also could try getting her some poultry nutri-drench and durvet b vitamin complex “it says injectible but it can be swallowed,” to give her organs some extra support as she fights whatever caused her sickness.
thank you so much i appreciate and i’m very upset because this goose was hand raised and everything

it had a stroke from what a vet said so i don’t know what to do

It can take a few months to recover but it is possible. She needs to be somewhere quite, safe, and warm with a friend to keep her calm that won’t bully her as she’s recovering. Make sure she’s getting the best nutrition to give her body everything it needs to repair itself. She mght be a special needs goose for awhile, possibly the rest of her life because there’s a chance she may not recover to be completely normal, some do and you’d think nothing ever happened to them, some have varying levels of impairment. Sometimes they continue to decline and if that’s the case there’s honestly nothing that you could have done.
If she’s able to eat, drink, bathe and preen she has a good prognosis.

From what I've read, peanut butter is given to hasten metallic objects into the gastrointestinal tract.

From what I've read, peanut butter is given to hasten metallic objects into the gastrointestinal tract.
If the object is still in the crop, then that would be a bad thing, it’s better that the regurgitate whatever they swallowed. Once it’s in their digestive system the aim is to remove it as quickly as possible, the vet advised anything to push it through when my gander was showing signs of zinc toxicity, sometimes unfortunatly only surgery can remove it if it’s a large object.

Back
Top Bottom