Female button quail hopping like a bunny?

michelle97

Hatching
Jan 5, 2016
Has anyone ever seen it before, I have two female button quail and one male and recently one of the females started hopping from place to place like an actual bunny. She does not look like shes in pain but if anything is wrong I would be glad to know.

What is this weird behavior?
Thanks in advance! :)

I'd grab her and check her legs and feet - check that nothing is tangled around them and try to bend her legs to check for resistance. I'd also feel the joints for swelling. I've never experienced something similar, but I strongly doubt it's a good sign, if you never see her walking as usual.

Nothings seems wrong with her legs and feet I felt around for some swelling there is none, she does walk around normally. She does it at random times (the hopping), at the moment she is dust bathing. She does not seem like she's in pain but I'll keep an eye out :/

Last edited:
If it's just a few random jumps every now and then, it might just be random burst of energy. But if it's getting anywhere near her main way of getting around, I'd be very worried.

Hopping takes more energy than walking. All of my Japanese do it every day but never exclusively.

It sounds similar to a quail "popcorn"ing, crouched down on the ground and popping up into a hop, sometimes accompanied by wing flapping - if it's this, then it means they're happy and comfortable and playful feeling :D

I find they popcorn in the morning the most but anytime they get excited they will crouch and pop up, so cute!!! :)

My quail will even leapfrogging over each other and if I clap and act happy after a few time if I start to clap they start doing it on command. It looks like a coragraphed dance. it's really fun to see.

Back
Top Bottom