Female button quail weird eye shape and swollen head?

Bellalily

Hatching
Apr 6, 2024
I noticed today that one of my females that has become one of my males favourite to mate with had a swollen looking head that seems to be pulling her eyelids up. I felt it and it is hard, not fluid filled like an abscess. Anyone know if she will be alright?

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5553.jpeg
    IMG_5553.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 6
It's hard to say without a physical examination. I would separate her to give her a chance to heal for a couple days to start with. It looks like an injury, so hopefully she just needs some time to heal.

What are you feeding them?
Is she eating, drinking, and pooping?
Is she active?
What is her home like?
How many quail do you have?
How many males to females?

It's hard to say without a physical examination. I would separate her to give her a chance to heal for a couple days to start with. It looks like an injury, so hopefully she just needs some time to heal.

What are you feeding them?
Is she eating, drinking, and pooping?
Is she active?
What is her home like?
How many quail do you have?
How many males to females?
I feed them high protein poultry crumble, worms and bugs, kitchen scraps, shell grit, and sometimes millet puffs as a treat. She is eating and drinking not sure about pooping. She seems less active than usual but is still moving around. They live in a wooden and wire cage with different levels and lots of bedding and hay and little nesting houses. I have 5 hens and two roosters.

I feed them high protein poultry crumble, worms and bugs, kitchen scraps, shell grit, and sometimes millet puffs as a treat. She is eating and drinking not sure about pooping. She seems less active than usual but is still moving around. They live in a wooden and wire cage with different levels and lots of bedding and hay and little nesting houses. I have 5 hens and two roosters.
I will try and seperate her, will she get too lonely though?

It sounds like you're feeding a lot of treats. Make sure all of the stuff except for her crumble is no more than 10% of her diet.

She looks like a button quail, so your male to female ratio is off. Buttons do best in pairs. Is it possible that one of the "extra" hens is picking on her?

She will get lonely when separated. If you can, the bin or whatever you're keeping her in can be close to the others so she can see and hear them, which will keep her from getting too lonely.

It sounds like you're feeding a lot of treats. Make sure all of the stuff except for her crumble is no more than 10% of her diet.

She looks like a button quail, so your male to female ratio is off. Buttons do best in pairs. Is it possible that one of the "extra" hens is picking on her?

She will get lonely when separated. If you can, the bin or whatever you're keeping her in can be close to the others so she can see and hear them, which will keep her from getting too lonely.
I’ve not seen any peck at her other than the male who likes her when they are mating. The man who sold them to me said that if I only had one female for the males then they would get overmated so to allow them options for mating. I will seperate her now and hopefully she heals.

Back
Top Bottom