Female Duck Attacking Male

wrahrig

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
My female duck has just recently started fighting with my male ( both pekin) she almost acts as if she is trying to egg him on and poke him. Then if he engages they grab each others breasts and push/pull one another. He's now missing some plumage on his neck. They don't fight constantly but I can't find anything online as to why this behavior is happening. They're two yrs old as well

She doesn't like him or is mad at him for some reason, I figure. Do you have any other females? It might help to have one or two more to relieve some tension. Perhaps he's trying to mate with her too often.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering the same if another would help balance it out. My fear is if it makes it worse. These ducks are both three years old. I had Quakers and Fifi as an original pair and they were fine as we had them both since hatchlings. The male got really sick and had to be put down really without much notice. He had found some nasty water and got Botulism. ( I change their water and pool water every day). So the fair was going and I got her a single male to keep her company bc she was so sad without Fifi (understandable). We brought Moose home from the fair last Aug. he is the same age as Quackers and they got on great. It's just been the past week or two that this is happened.

Do you know anyone who's had this problem or did you solve it that way with adding a female? I keep my animals for life and would feel horrible if I happened to get another female and have to rehome her :(

Last edited:
I'm giving you a bump. I know that a lot of people have good luck with a 1:3 ration of drakes to hens.

She might get used to him and like him later.

I think @desertdarlene is spot on. In this instance, adopting another female I bet will be the way to go. Gives your girl a new BFF and the drake a new girl! Also, once some of the cute little fluffies from the farm stores start growing up (and getting messier by the minute) they will be popping up for Rehoming. You might even put a WTB ad up on Craigslist or check in with the Where Am I? Where Are You? Social forum for your state.

Back
Top Bottom