Female duck vibrates when I'm around

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Not sure if this is a mating behavior or just a weird quirk. I've had female ducks squat/lower themselves before, but never seen this.

Today I went out to check/feed/water the ducks, and Raspberry & Blackberry both ran over. I crouched down as I usually do to greet them and Raspberry was playing with my hand (digging with her bill) and suddenly started vibrating her head.

I got concerned but it stopped as soon as she walked away. They started eating then ran back over, she mouthed my hand then started vibrating her head again.

I'm assuming it's a submissive/mating behavior? Shes 6 months so should be due to lay an egg soon.

Not sure if this is a mating behavior or just a weird quirk. I've had female ducks squat/lower themselves before, but never seen this.

Today I went out to check/feed/water the ducks, and Raspberry & Blackberry both ran over. I crouched down as I usually do to greet them and Raspberry was playing with my hand (digging with her bill) and suddenly started vibrating her head.

I got concerned but it stopped as soon as she walked away. They started eating then ran back over, she mouthed my hand then started vibrating her head again.

I'm assuming it's a submissive/mating behavior? Shes 6 months so should be due to lay an egg soon.
I think your right, although im not the best with duck behavior. i believe they do it out of pleasure and happiness, but im not sure.

My understanding is that it is a kind of overstimulation or dominance type of signal. I usually understand duck body language quite well, but this one I'm a bit unclear on. All I know is that my ducks don't enjoy being touched, and they do it when I get a bit too touchy for their liking. They stop when I stop - and I no longer do the things that made them vibrate their necks up my arms.

Most members say it is a dominance behavior, some say it is affectionate.

I also think it depends on the duck. My Drake does it to me all the time, but then he come up and rubs his neck and head all over me and begging for a snuggle. Which I give him of course. He lets me know when he's had enough and goes on his merry way.

Back
Top Bottom