Male aggression to 1 female

Paintingducks

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
I have 1 male (Cayuga) and 5 females (1Cayuga, 2 Pekin, and 2 Rouen) - all but one Rouen I got this past May 2023 - the other Rouen I've had for a little over a year (her sister was killed by a hawk). I got them all as ducklings and introduced them to her immediately but didn't house them with her until they were about 6 to 8 weeks old. She's been laying eggs this whole time but stopped about three weeks ago. Everyone has been getting along fine but in the last week to 10 days I've noticed my oldest Rouen is losing quite a few feathers - I thought she was just molting but the last few days it's been getting so much worse. I've witnessed the male going over to her and just ripping her feathers out - she basically has only a few wing feathers left and this morning when I let them out he went right over to her and started pecking at the back of her neck (which I know they do for mating) but then proceeded to hold her down and was pecking at her face, around her eyes, and had his entire bill around her head in the eye area. He doesn't try to get on her to mate or anything - just very aggressive. She has stopped going into the pools when he's in there and although she stays with the flock, she is staying off to the side or back a little. I feel so badly for her. He isn't doing this to the others. She's my baby so I don't want to isolate her and have her feel bad. He goes after her when they are roaming my backyard (all fenced in) and I've tried to keep him in the pen for a bit but they all just stay by the gate and squawk. Please help. He's very gentle when I hold him (I try to hold each one at least every other day and they like it).

That's a tough situation. You have to protect your girl no matter what - seems he's intent on behavior that could cause a lot of injury. I feel for you. I had a situation a couple years ago where I ordered three females from a hatchery and two of them ended up male. The males were intent on going after an older female who was our favorite girl, and she was a pekin and didn't walk that well so that made it extra hard. Separating the males felt terrible because they would just pace and be anxious to be apart from the flock. I ended up culling my males, and that was hard, and I still feel a little sad about that, but it brought harmony. I hope you can find a solution, or that his behavior calms down.

That's a tough situation. You have to protect your girl no matter what - seems he's intent on behavior that could cause a lot of injury. I feel for you. I had a situation a couple years ago where I ordered three females from a hatchery and two of them ended up male. The males were intent on going after an older female who was our favorite girl, and she was a pekin and didn't walk that well so that made it extra hard. Separating the males felt terrible because they would just pace and be anxious to be apart from the flock. I ended up culling my males, and that was hard, and I still feel a little sad about that, but it brought harmony. I hope you can find a solution, or that his behavior calms down.
I would hate to have to do that but, I'm not willing to sacrifice her. If this continues, maybe I'll try to re-home him first. Thank you for your input

Yeah, it's hard and doesn't feel fair to the males. I didn't try to re-home because there are already so many unwanted drakes that people are looking to offload and I was afraid of them going to a situation where they wasn't cared for or that was scary for them. Ugh, I don't know why it has to be so hard. I'm sorry.

DRAKE JAIL. Or rehome him. I had a similar situation with a drake that was very mean to one of my favorite old lady harlequins. i put him in jail for 2 weeks to give him a chance, but he continued even after he got out, so he was rehomed.

i wouldn’t put the girl alone . i would put the drake alone.
And then, if the other girls are picking on the girl that’s hurt, and her injuries need time to heal, then I would put her separate but I probably still put her best friend girl duck with her until she heals

I was going to mention the same, separate them but put another laid back femnale in with the one being picked on. Not much else you can do besides rehome or cull.

Can you put the drake with one female so he isn’t alone
That way both sets have somebody. Sounds like he has a real aggression towards her and I’m not sure that can be fixed
Personally I haven’t had a drake attack any of my girls so I’m not able to say of time will make things better
But you do need to separate him now before something really bad happens to her

Back
Top Bottom