female ducks not interested in the drake.

I have to say I'm utterly fascinated by situations like this. I do believe in time they would come to accept him, but what changes happen along the way to make their minds? Analyzing behaviour is what I'm all about

I had to keep my one female seperate from my drake for a while. I kept him with the other girls so that he would learn he could mate all of them not just the one. It did help some, not as much as I would have hoped but at least he shares his attentions a little more now.

I had to keep my one female seperate from my drake for a while.  I kept him with the other girls so that he would learn he could mate all of them not just the one.  It did help some, not as much as I would have hoped but at least he shares his attentions a little more now.

That's a good idea Sfraker. She is looking a bit worse for ware. I'll have to have a think about where I can put her but she might welcome a break from his attentions even if it didn't work. Thanks. I've got several ideas that I can try now. Hopefully one of them will work. :)

My pure bred pekin cops it the worst from all of my drakes, and I have no idea what makes her so attractive. My scovy, who I would dearly love babies from, is so dominant no drake will touch her.

What drakes find attractive obviously isn't the same as what us humans find attractive. Lol. And I've just realised after reading your post that if I did try to hatch another Welsh Harlequin drake of my own only a third of the eggs would be fertile because he's only having his way with one of the three girls. Maybe I'll get lucky. :)

Wow... that is really interesting. Let us all know how it goes..

I have 4 females and 2 Drakes. I am having a nightmare. They are paired off.. but the drakes only want each others ''partners'' and not interested in their own but if the other male tries to mate with their pair.. they try to fight him off. It is bizarre!

Wow... that is really interesting. Let us all know how it goes..

I have 4 females and 2 Drakes. I am having a nightmare. They are paired off.. but the drakes only want each others ''partners'' and not interested in their own but if the other male tries to mate with their pair.. they try to fight him off. It is bizarre!

It just shows no matter how you plan for the best they don't always go to plan. You'd have thought that one drake to three ducks would be fine but these two only have eyes for each other. I'll keep you posted. :)

Back
Top Bottom