Female eating as though she never had anything to eat before

NevadaEmma

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
One of my females, who had successfully hatched three goslings last year in April, is lately acting famished. She runs to me before all the others and begs to be the first, second, third, fourth, etc. to be given treats. She will follow me to my garage where I keep theirs and the chickens feed, hoping to be feed. It does not matter what it is, she wants something to eat. Usually I give her a small bowl of Flock Raiser. The other night I could not find her when all the rest were put away. I saw her across the yard eating the small pieces of scratch or flock food that I had thrown out to the chickens.

She appears healthy, happy and normal except for wanting to be fed whenever she sees me.

I have a gander that has always wanted to be the first for treats, and trys to get anyones treats. But once the treats are done, he is done.

I was wondering if she might be getting ready for spring laying?

One of my females, who had successfully hatched three goslings last year in April, is lately acting famished. She runs to me before all the others and begs to be the first, second, third, fourth, etc. to be given treats. She will follow me to my garage where I keep theirs and the chickens feed, hoping to be feed. It does not matter what it is, she wants something to eat. Usually I give her a small bowl of Flock Raiser. The other night I could not find her when all the rest were put away. I saw her across the yard eating the small pieces of scratch or flock food that I had thrown out to the chickens.

She appears healthy, happy and normal except for wanting to be fed whenever she sees me.

I have a gander that has always wanted to be the first for treats, and trys to get anyones treats. But once the treats are done, he is done.

Sounds like she is tweaking up for all the reserves she will need to get through laying season. Our weather has been really quirky to could be throwing her off so I wouldn't rule out early eggs. This time of year my girls visit the feed bowls allot more during the day than the boys.

Thanks for the reply. We really have not had much really cold weather yet. I would not like to see her lay eggs and have to sit on them when and if it gets really cold this year. But she will be taken well care of no matter what.

I have not seen much mating going on so far, but I am not out as often as I used to be.

Side note: I had purchased an African Goose a couple of years ago to keep this particular goose company as she was the only one that hatched when I incubated several goose eggs. They became fast friends, but as they matured, it was clear that Bagel (the african goose) did not fit in well with the rest of the flock.

I found a loving home for him with the mate of another male goose that had I had given to a neighbor They were thrilled with Bagel and decided to incubate the eggs that had been fertilized by Millard that unfortunately had just been killed by a coyote.

The neighbor successfully hatched three eggs. Bagel was now the proud papa of Millards goslings. My friend who had never incubated eggs, was amazed at how loving and attentive Bagel was towards the little ones.

Attachments

• 20220409_093634 (2).jpg
    20220409_093634 (2).jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8069.JPG
    IMG_8069.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Thanks for the reply. We really have not had much really cold weather yet. I would not like to see her lay eggs and have to sit on them when and if it gets really cold this year. But she will be taken well care of no matter what.

I have not seen much mating going on so far, but I am not out as often as I used to be.

Side note: I had purchased an African Goose a couple of years ago to keep this particular goose company as she was the only one that hatched when I incubated several goose eggs. They became fast friends, but as they matured, it was clear that Bagel (the african goose) did not fit in well with the rest of the flock.

I found a loving home for him with the mate of another male goose that had I had given to a neighbor They were thrilled with Bagel and decided to incubate the eggs that had been fertilized by Millard that unfortunately had just been killed by a coyote.

The neighbor successfully hatched three eggs. Bagel was now the proud papa of Millards goslings. My friend who had never incubated eggs, was amazed at how loving and attentive Bagel was towards the little ones.
Wonderful goose story thank you.

I have a girl like that “Friday,” she’s a big fan of eating too.

Back
Top Bottom