Geese suddenly acting anti-social

Kaisahr

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
Every single day i walk into the coop in the morning i get greeted by all the geese, they come running and i let them out. Today my african did not come to me at all, stood in the corner under a small tree, the others came and ate from my hand as they do daily before i let them out to roam. I even walked over to the goose with corn in my hand (which they go crazy for) and she was not interested, completely opposite behavior as yesterday. She still let me pick her up and pet her, but did not want to leave the tree. She eventually went and bathed in the water tub & drank some water, have not seen her eat at all. Even refused to eat CORN! out of my hand.

Any ideas what this behavior is, she looks healthy otherwise, drank water and bathed, and saw her spreading the feather oil around her body. every day for months has been completely the same except for today. She has started laying eggs about a week or two ago, she's about 5-6 months old now. But she wasn't sitting on eggs or anything. She wasn't even interested in her flock the entire day, just sat alone. Is this just a weird hormonal temporary thing or any ideas?

Has she laid today?
Does she have access to oyster shell? What kind of feed is she on? Have you noticed any unusual droppings, bubbly, red, pink, orange, yellow, neon green, black, mostly white, mucous, or very hard and dry?

It sounds like she isn’t feeling well.

Has she laid today?
Does she have access to oyster shell? What kind of feed is she on? Have you noticed any unusual droppings, bubbly, red, pink, orange, yellow, neon green, black, mostly white, mucous, or very hard and dry?

It sounds like she isn’t feeling well.
She didn't lay today, they're all on 16% layer. Last goose egg was 2-3 days ago and i don't know who laid it. I do know her first 1-2 eggs were shellless, just the membrane but the last I've seen they have a good shell to them and they now look normal. I've seem the same thing with new chickens their first few eggs are usually not good.

I didn't notice any weird poop, maybe a little more watery and not the typical green snake type of poop once they are eating lots of grass and drinking. But it could just be because she hasn't eaten. I went out and she ate a little from my hand but not the typical munching like crazy, just a few nibbles here and there. She's just kinda wandering around not sure what she is doing, not talkative, and separated from everyone, i noticed she is going to corners and chilling there. 😟

Also put some watermelon down and she did eat a little of that, but not much.

Last edited:
If you can try feeling her abdomen for a large lump, she could be egg bound. Try offering her some crushed eggshells to see if shes craving extra calcium.

If she isn’t eggbound my guess is she’s coming down with something.

If you can try feeling her abdomen for a large lump, she could be egg bound. Try offering her some crushed eggshells to see if shes craving extra calcium.

If she isn’t eggbound my guess is she’s coming down with something.
If she was eggbound wouldn't she be sat down trying to push? She's mostly standing around. I will pickup some oystershells tomorrow as well

The poop is yellowish-greenish by the way, more yellow. And slimy
Does it possibly look like egg yolk? Sometime an egg can break internally and cause infections. If not it sounds like an intestinal infection, it could possibly be parasites like coccidia or giardia or it could be enteritis.

You could start her on corid to be safe, it will treat coccidia so long as you don’t administer B vitamins during treatment. If you by any chance have Toltrazuril it would be better.
giardia and clostridium can be treated with a combination of tylosin and metronidazole, it’s better to get a gram stain and fecal float to determine if that is actually the problem first but if that isn’t a possibility or if you can’t find an avian vet you can buy them online as fish and pigeon antibiotics.

Does it possibly look like egg yolk? Sometime an egg can break internally and cause infections. If not it sounds like an intestinal infection, it could possibly be parasites like coccidia or giardia or it could be enteritis.

You could start her on corid to be safe, it will treat coccidia so long as you don’t administer B vitamins during treatment. If you by any chance have Toltrazuril it would be better.
giardia and clostridium can be treated with a combination of tylosin and metronidazole, it’s better to get a gram stain and fecal float to determine if that is actually the problem first but if that isn’t a possibility or if you can’t find an avian vet you can buy them online as fish and pigeon antibiotics.
What would be the treatment for a broken egg inside her? Ahh i took a picture earlier but i didn't check it, it is not a good photo. But you can see the color a bit on the top left, after this one poop it cleared up a bit more and came out more liquidly slimy, with not much color, and a littlebit of actual brown poop.

Attachments

• IMG_3148.JPG
    IMG_3148.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 10
Usually with an internally broken egg it’s best to put them on a round of antibiotics immediately and keep them quiet and relaxed, warm baths can also help.
I can’t really tell what’s in the picture but eggs broken internally result in actual egg yolk and pieces of shell or membrane coming out the back end. Yellow like in that picture can be a result of eating something toxic, certain infections, or it‘s from coccidia. yellow and foamy or bubbly droppings are fairly commonly caused by coccidia, as it worsens you’ll begin seeing blood or pinkish or orange mucousy droppings.

Back
Top Bottom