Female Embden goose aggressive towards Sebastopol Male

NevadaEmma

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
My four geese are about 4 1/2 months old. The male is a Sebastopol and I believe the other three are female Embdens. We bought them as a mixed group. Leftovers is what my husband calls them (left over at the end of the mailing day). I have noticed one of the females occasionally biting the male around its beak and head. She does not appear to be hurting him, but does seem annoyed. He is very active and always wants the first treat or grass that I offer to them.

The other two do not participate in this activity from what I can tell. The male is tending to go off and leave the females once in awhile for short periods of time (maybe for some peace and quite!). Today he took off and went to one of the wading pools we have for them around the yard for a swim.

Any thoughts? Thanks

You absolutely sure this one is female?

When my Toulouse goose started into mating age oh my gosh she was biting my gander especially when they got into the pool . But she was close to 9 months old.

You absolutely sure this one is female?

When my Toulouse goose started into mating age oh my gosh she was biting my gander especially when they got into the pool . But she was close to 9 months old.
Well, I am not positive it is a female. Only two of the geese we ordered had bands indicating their sex. I kept track of the male and the female. The other two I believed to be female by their behavior.

The male almost always leads the pack and the others usually follow single file except when they are following me. They spread out in a line with their wings flapping. The Sebastopols' feathers do not allow him to really fly, but he waddles as fast as he can with his Angle wings out.

I read that they only lay eggs in the early spring, so I assume that they only show mating behavior at that time as well. I enjoyed them so much more than I had expected as little chicks. They have so much personality.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep watching to see if there is some type of pattern or what happens in the spring.

Breeding season for geese is late winter through usually late May I always see a change in attitude with my gander around end of Dec. but mating doesn’t start till late Jan - Feb they really have no set time they were late getting started this year and ended mid June. My 2 are now 14 and 9 not sure if that had anything to do with mating starting later and ending later. Yeah laying is spring unless Chinese sometimes they will lay in the fall too. Once breeding season gets started be prepared for change in attitude by your gander. He’ll become Very protective of his ladies. Please share pics when you can. My gander is Embden maybe your Sebastopol will not be too aggressive.

Breeding season for geese is late winter through usually late May I always see a change in attitude with my gander around end of Dec. but mating doesn’t start till late Jan - Feb they really have no set time they were late getting started this year and ended mid June. My 2 are now 14 and 9 not sure if that had anything to do with mating starting later and ending later. Yeah laying is spring unless Chinese sometimes they will lay in the fall too. Once breeding season gets started be prepared for change in attitude by your gander. He’ll become Very protective of his ladies. Please share pics when you can. My gander is Embden maybe your Sebastopol will not be too aggressive.
Thanks for the information. They have brought a lot of joy into our lives these last few months. I attached a photo. The male Sebastopol is in the back and the three females are in one of their pools. The one that seems to be a bit aggressive towards him is on the left with the black feather. Looking forward to the future to see if we may have some chicks. I kept them in the house in a big plastic box and it was such fun to see them when I was cooking dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_7153.JPG
    IMG_7153.JPG
    685.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom