Female goose missing..

bizzeeb60

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Frostproof, FL
When I went out ot feed the animals this morning, Bonnie (my female African Goose) was not in the "Goose Coop") where she has been spending most of her time. I searched the entire 5 acres and did not find her. The male (CLyde) is paciing and squawking.

My questionm is, the male be alright by himself he has never been without his mate! How do I find him another mate?

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
sad.png

Thanks

Quote:
Gosh you're in a pickle. You are still in the time range that you might be able to find started youngsters somewhere for him. If she is around, he'll find her though. Ask on craigslist for your area, search very quickly for goslings from hatcheries. Check your local feed stores to see if they have any that havn't sold yet. Sex doesn't matter, he'll be happy with just another goose. If you can't find anything he'll just have to wait until next spring. At the minimum you can usually order a sexed goose through the local feed stores that provide chicks.

Sorry that happened, I wonder where she went....

ar eyou sure you just didn't miss her somewhere...maybe she has a nest. I hope you can find him a friend or your goose comes home...

Thats cute, i have a khaki campbell pair and their names are "bonny and clyde".. I would double and triple check. she may be on a nest somewhere...

I'm guessing and hoping she is on a nest
smile.png
If there were a predator, there would be evidence, and other critters if you have them would have been much easier pickins than a full grown African.

Well she had a nest box we had built where she had been spending most of her time for the past month. However there were no eggs in it nor any sign of any having hatched. Our chickens are enclosed in a 10 x 10 coop whee nothing can get to them.

My neighbor has had a full grown Mallard drake and a fulll grown white Pekin duck disappear in a similiar way. Not a feather to be found. That is why our thought is the Panther.

We just hope the male will be alright, he is lonely and spends yhe day looking for his mate.

As far as the full 5 acres, the geese really only have access to about 1.5 acres of it due to the way it is fenced. They have no access to the back 3 that the cows and chicken coop are in and the the 1/2 acre back yard is fenced for the dogs and they cannot get in there either, So we hjave been able to check the entire area when she could be, several times. It is not a wooded area.

Hello, I don't know how far Frostproof is from Vero Bch, but I have 4 Roman Tuffed geese for sale at the feed store - they are 20 days old. They are getting big and I will bring them home tonight if they are not sold. It sounds like a bobcat if she is really gone. Last year we forgot to bring in the one goose we had behind the barn ONE time and the only thing strong enough to jump a 4 foot fence with barbed wire on top and take a full grown goose without leaving a feather is a bobcat. They have moved off since my neighbor fenced and put in cows next to our property. Even so, we learned from that experience.

annette'spets :

Hello, I don't know how far Frostproof is from Vero Bch, but I have 4 Roman Tuffed geese for sale at the feed store - they are 20 days old. They are getting big and I will bring them home tonight if they are not sold. It sounds like a bobcat if she is really gone. Last year we forgot to bring in the one goose we had behind the barn ONE time and the only thing strong enough to jump a 4 foot fence with barbed wire on top and take a full grown goose without leaving a feather is a bobcat. They have moved off since my neighbor fenced and put in cows next to our property. Even so, we learned from that experience.

Vero Beach is about 90 miles east of Frostproof, going out SR60. What does a Roman Tufted look like? I know the africans are large and very pretty.

We are pretty sure it was the Florida panther that comes through here about once every three months. And we know he/she is definately large enough to take the Goose because we actualy saw it once and have seen its footprint several times. Same thing just the unlucky luck of the draw that night.​

Back
Top Bottom