Female grey francolin leg problem

alucard

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 26, 2014
Hello everyone
So I have a pair of grey Francolin for about an year and half. It's the second time the female is laying last year she laid about 7 to 8 eggs but this year she laid about 15 eggs the last one was 2 days ago before she laid the 15 eggs quite unusual she got a limp which worsened quite a lot and all I can think was she might have low calcium level so I got her some lime laying around at my house which I fed her as there is lockdown in my area and I count get anything else .then she laid the 15th eggs which was white but all of her other eggs were Brown so I think it was due to calcium deficiency. Her gait got back normal within 2 days now yesterday again it happened so I some added a little bits and pieces in her feed but she didn't ate. As of today she was had a limp but now she has completely lost movement in her left leg she can't get up I just gave here powdered lime in some dough. I don't no why she lost here left leg suddenly I mean she was active a few hours age eating normal and drinking water. Her poop is normal but she can't stand up. The other leg is fine .I felt here underside to check if it's tender or if there there is eggs but it's soft and I can't feel any problem with her except her leg .I also rubbed some olive oil on her leg. Plz help I can't get her to a doctor as there is lockdown.

Last edited:
I’m sorry for your loss and that no one responded, new posts pop up so frequently that it’s easy for posts to get overlooked.

I can’t say what was wrong with your hen, it could have been many things honestly, the first that comes to mind is a reproductive problem, like an infection or tumor. The ischiadic nerve in birds runs through the kidneys, if they, or the ovaries are inflamed it can cause the nerve to be pinched off and the bird to lose some or all ability to move it’s legs, the same can happen sometimes if they’re eggbound.
Regardless considering she passed so quickly there wasn’t anything you could have don’t to save her, and any attempt to do so during the day wouldn’t have likely changed the outcome. I’m sorry again for your loss. 😞

Back
Top Bottom