Female Indian runner duck keeps lying down

Dm3223

Chirping
Oct 6, 2021
Hey there, I’m seeking some help and advice about my 4 month old Indian runner duck who keeps lying down.

She will be up and around and acting fairly normal then just out of the blue she will just start lying down. She does this through the whole day too.

Any clue to what the problem might be?

She could be showing a niacin deficiency.
What are you feeding them and have you supplemented with niacin?
I have been feeding them sollio agriculture brand duck grower pellets and just yesterday I started feeding them game scratch, that contains barley corn and wheat. They free range all day get tons of peas as well. What would you recommend for a supplement?

Have you checked her feet?
What's the temp? Mine did that the other morning when she felt how cold it was outside of the coop. It was the first day that the temps were in the low 30s.
Oh yea that might make sense with mine as it just started getting a bit chillier where I live, it’s in around -5 Celsius in the mornings here. Is this just them getting used to the cold? Also what would I be checking her feet for?
Thanks

Oh yea that might make sense with mine as it just started getting a bit chillier where I live, it’s in around -5 Celsius in the mornings here. Is this just them getting used to the cold? Also what would I be checking her feet for?
Thanks
For my duck, it is her first winter and I imagine they just have to figure out that some days its cold.
Check for bumblefoot, cuts,or swollen areas that shouldn't be there.

For supplement a niacin supplement [not time-released or flush free] they need at least 100 mg daily each duck. Sometimes when they have a deficiency it shows itself so vague until over night it seems to show itself as lameness. Many of us use a liquid B complex to treat since it works faster. If you don't find anything on the bottom of her foot and the weather doesn't seem to be the cause I'd treat for niacin def. even a 4 month old can have it especially if it something that has been coming on gradually.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom