Female mallard help

rbates

Hatching
Jul 16, 2016
I have 5 mallard ducks 3 male and 2 female. One of my females appears to be sick. As i walked in their pin she was laying down and would not move as i approched her. Her legs are srraight behind her and she is breathing very heavy. I brought her inside because she was very warm when i picked her up. I took a syringe and gave her 2 cc of water. I am unsure what is going on with her. She did start lating eggs about a week ago but had not layed in 2 days. Not sure if that may have anything to do with it or if its some sort of heat stroke. Please advise my 8 year old son loves her. She is the sweetest one out of the bunch. They are about 6 months old now.. help do not want to loose her.

welcome-byc.gif
Any possibility that the drakes have been overbreeding and may have injured her? 3 drakes to 2 ducks is a recipe for trouble.

I would cool her down and move the other female and her inside so she has company and keep track of what she eats and drinks. I'll pray for her. I had a baby mallard do this and I brought him and his sister inside and cooled the both down they did fine.

I brought her inside and put her in the bath to cool her down she drank plenty of water and still did not move her legs in front of her. I put her back in the pin with the rest of them because i did not want to keep them seperated for to long. She is able to move her feet she just cant stand up. I am at a loss of what to do. The two females were giving me a egg every day until today. The other female is fine. Would it be best to keep them in the house for the night? Will the males go crazy when i put them back in tomorrow? I dont want them re injuring her if that is what happened!

Back
Top Bottom