Female mating other females

BirdLeaf

Songster
Jan 21, 2018
Johnstown Colorado
I have 3 Pekins and a Cayuga. One Pekin is a drake, all others are females. My Cayuga, who I have eggs from (I cracked one and it was fertilized), keeps mating the other ducks, even the drake! Tail twist, head-bobbing full on mating, minus a duck penis. Is she becoming a hermaphrodite, even though there is a male?

I have 3 Pekins and a Cayuga. One Pekin is a drake, all others are females. My Cayuga, who I have eggs from (I cracked one and it was fertilized), keeps mating the other ducks, even the drake! Tail twist, head-bobbing full on mating, minus a duck penis. Is she becoming a hermaphrodite, even though there is a male?
nah, just a normal bossy hen. it happens ;)

I have 6 female ducks and they are all very sexual. Sometimes they make stacks of 3. My flock doesn't seem to care about dominance in regards to their sexy time. They have a very clear pecking order for rights to the best foraging spots, and other situations, but the top ducks stretches out her neck and asks the other ones to mount her.

Well, for a hen with male pattern baldness, she sure is getting her share!
(She’s been mated a lot so she has a bald spot haha!)
Now another question in the same vein, two of the ducks out there are too young to lay eggs, do they just mate anyways even though they’re only 3 months old?

This is sexual behavior, not dominance. People keep saying "it's about dominance" because of their own issues, which prevent them from accepting that animals will engage in sexual behaviors simply because they are aroused, and the behaviors leading to release will "feel good."

Now, here's something for those in the "it's dominance" camp to consider -- for your explanation to be correct, we have to assume that all species engaging in this behavior to be capable of comprehending that this is how dominance is asserted, rather than the far simpler behavior of simply being capable of driving off a subordinate.

I've had "cage-birds" for nearly 30 years now -- and sexual behaviors happen. If it was about "dominance", then regurgitation wouldn't be incorporated into the behavior. Your duck has discovered something that "feels good" and will continue to do so as long as the "feels good" component continues to function as a reward. There's nothing "wrong" here.

:)

Back
Top Bottom