Female pekin duck acting like a male

youngbaedong

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Texas
I own three pekin ducks, one male and two females. One of my females is acting like a male by mounting my female duck trying to mate with her. Is this normal?
The female that is acting like a male loves to be the boss and I don't know if she's trying to take the male's place

Sometimes ducks show some homosexual traits, I made the same observation once. This may look unusual, but it is really nothing to worry about. Nature is not always what we suspect it to be
wink.png

Sometimes ducks show some homosexual traits, I made the same observation once. This may look unusual, but it is really nothing to worry about. Nature is not always what we suspect it to be ;)

I see. Well that's okay:) I was more worried that my female might be a male, but I was 100% sure that she was a female haha
I do know that ever since she was young she'd like to boss everyone around but she can never leave my male's side lol

Are they young? just coming into mating age? seems when my Muscovys are young is when I see this the most. It is normal behavior.

My ducks were actually late bloomers and just started a couple weeks ago laying eggs. Also my male just started mating and one of my females noticed a week later about this and mounts my smallest female.

My ducks are about to be 9 months

My ducks were actually late bloomers and just started a couple weeks ago laying eggs. Also my male just started mating and one of my females noticed a week later about this and mounts my smallest female.

My ducks are about to be 9 months
The drake feather is the biggest giveaway, but it just sounds like your girl is acting out the mating ritual. That's good they waited longer to start laying, gives them time to mature which I think is a plus since they will be laying eggs almost daily,.

The drake feather is the biggest giveaway, but it just sounds like your girl is acting out the mating ritual. That's good they waited longer to start laying, gives them time to mature which I think is a plus since they will be laying eggs almost daily,.

I know to tell the male pekin ducks apart from the females is the curl they have on their tail feathers. I used to have two males but one passed due to an unknown reason. I believe someone scared them to the point that my duck had a heart attack maybe...I just know that someone has been trying to steal my ducks/chickens.

I know my female loves to be in charge so maybe that's why she follows what the male does. My little female is the one that they mount since she was the tiniest from the group of ducks. I do get two eggs a day from them:)

I know to tell the male pekin ducks apart from the females is the curl they have on their tail feathers. I used to have two males but one passed due to an unknown reason. I believe someone scared them to the point that my duck had a heart attack maybe...I just know that someone has been trying to steal my ducks/chickens.

I know my female loves to be in charge so maybe that's why she follows what the male does. My little female is the one that they mount since she was the tiniest from the group of ducks. I do get two eggs a day from them:)
I think a game camera would be a good idea for your set up, that way if some one was coming around you would have it on camera, make sure to keep your flock in a secure locked building if you can be there to watch for them. So sorry about your drake.

I think a game camera would be a good idea for your set up, that way if some one was coming around you would have it on camera, make sure to keep your flock in a secure locked building if you can be there to watch for them. So sorry about your drake.

Oh, can I buy that at bestbuy? I will need a camera for sure. I adopted two puppies and I've had them for awhile. I trained them to guard the flock so last time when someone tried to break in we knew right away. I do have the area locked but now I'm going to buy a lock for my coop so I can be the only one to have access.

Thanks, my ducks were depressed for a while but they soon surpassed their depression. My drake that passed away was the leader of the flock and I guess now my female is taking over his role. My other drake is a gentleman and doesn't take much control haha

Oh, can I buy that at bestbuy? I will need a camera for sure. I adopted two puppies and I've had them for awhile. I trained them to guard the flock so last time when someone tried to break in we knew right away. I do have the area locked but now I'm going to buy a lock for my coop so I can be the only one to have access.

Thanks, my ducks were depressed for a while but they soon surpassed their depression. My drake that passed away was the leader of the flock and I guess now my female is taking over his role. My other drake is a gentleman and doesn't take much control haha
You can buy one at Walmart too, check on line also ebay and Amazon may even have a good deal on one. Sounds like your drake is a keeper. for sure

Back
Top Bottom