Female Pekins Fighting

DuckMom2017

Songster
Aug 24, 2017
NC
It's been a while since I've been on here- but luckily I haven't had any major issues until now.
My Pekins are almost 3 years old and have been together since they were babies. I have 1 Drake and 3 girls.
In the past few weeks, 2 of my girls, Tinkerbell and Lucy have been fighting like crazy. They've been pulling feathers out, pulling on their faces and CONSTANTLY yelling at each other. They even push each other around when they're walking. Even my Drake seems to try and get in between them...I think he's tired of them fighting too.
I've separated them over the past few days with a small fence but they still sit there and yell at each other thru the fence.
Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? All advice appreciated.

During the worst of hormone season boy my Muscovy females can go after each other to the point I have had to put one into solitary confinement over night a few times. They haven't ever hurt each other but it seems one will be the head female then next couple days another tries her hand at it. Now that the season is winding down things are a little more settled. Hopefully yours will mellow out to. If you let them work it out do you think one would be injured?

During the worst of hormone season boy my Muscovy females can go after each other to the point I have had to put one into solitary confinement over night a few times. They haven't ever hurt each other but it seems one will be the head female then next couple days another tries her hand at it. Now that the season is winding down things are a little more settled. Hopefully yours will mellow out to. If you let them work it out do you think one would be injured?
I mean I haven't seen blood yet- but there's definite loss of feathers where they're pulling them out of each other. They all went thru a pretty intense molt and just recently started laying again too so I'm not sure if it's all connected?

How’s things today did you opt to try and let them work it out?
Yes and they're still going at it.
I did separate them on Saturday just because they started fighting in their pool and it was looking pretty bad. They spent the day apart and quacked at each other thru the fence.
But I only have 1 duck house so at night they all get locked up together. I can hear them quacking after I lock them up but they don't seem to be fighting in the house- they just yell at each other.

Y'all- this is the wildest thing I've ever experienced with them.
After watching them I do believe it's for the "top hen" position.
When they walk together they start fighting about who will walk next to my drake and that's what sets them off.
The funny thing is they'll go off fighting so then my 3rd hen gets to walk with him in peace while they fight.

Back
Top Bottom