Fementing feed

Sweetwater Glen

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2023
Does anyone on here fermenting their feed for their chickens? I heard it is healthier for them and reduces their consumption by 1/3. I am thinking about trying it and wondered if anyone else has experience with it.

Most of the touted abilities are myth. It makes some of nutrients more a little more readily available for absorption and reduces consumption since its swollen and chickens eat less to feel full BUT since they don't eat as much, they may not get enough nutrition from the feed.
It's like soaking bread in water, you eat more by weight but less but nutrition stand point. Most would consider it a wash. The only real use is using up the feed powder in the bags, but you can just just add wash and feed as a mash, chickens love mash.

Does anyone on here fermenting their feed for their chickens? I heard it is healthier for them and reduces their consumption by 1/3. I am thinking about trying it and wondered if anyone else has experience with it.
It depends what the feed is. What you've read applies to whole grains; what nuthatched is talking about is doing it to processed feeds.

I ferment whole grains. If you want to read about my experiences with it, see my article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/ where you will find a detailed description and photos of fermented feed, plus references at the end to websites and books where you can read more about it.

I ferment commercial feed as well as offer pellet feed and free ranging during the day. They'll always finish off the fermented feed early in the day.

Others have studied quantity used and nutrition, so I can't offer any additional insight there. The only thing I can say with certainty is that they love it.

It gets really cold here in the winter. I feed whole grains, and because I soak them for three days, my chickens get water along with their feed. They have been getting additional water from the rain. But, when the snow falls they will eat the snow, even with water out for them. Because they get water in their feed, they eat less snow. Much less.

Back
Top Bottom