Fence jumpers

Doodle's Dad

Hatching
May 24, 2017
I have cut the flight feathers from all 6 chickens, but a couple of them have gotten over our 5ft fence since. Maybe making sure I cut them properly is my next to do list. Is this the right train of thought? Should I do anything else?

I have tried wing clipping too, but a determined chicken can still get over a fence. I free ranged my very first flock inside a very large area with 4-½ ' fence. You would think with such a large free range area, they would stay in there and be happy. Nope, eventually they wanted 'more to explore'. Years passed. Starting over, my new flock will be in a covered run.

did you clip both wings? It is often more effective to clip just one wing on each bird rather than both. Clipping both wings can sometimes leave the bird able to overcome the missing feathers enough for some flight, clipping one wing can serve to throw the bird off balance and prevent such flight.

It may not be realistic, but covering the fence, so the chickens cannot see the other side can act as a deterrent. However, since your flock knows what's over there, it may not work.

did you clip both wings? It is often more effective to clip just one wing on each bird rather than both. Clipping both wings can sometimes leave the bird able to overcome the missing feathers enough for some flight, clipping one wing can serve to throw the bird off balance and prevent such flight.
I agree. I've always clipped 1 wing only. And as soon as I saw one was starting to fly again, I knew it was time for a chicken round up & they all got clipped again.

Depending on the amount of fence we're talking about, another option is to install a topper that comes in at 45 degree angle and is a foot or more in size -- the reason this can work is that chickens tend to walk clear up to the barrier (fence) and then try to get over it. Because of this they will rise up at the fence line and end up impacting the angled barrier at the top rather than going over the fence. It can be done with bird netting, poultry netting or other wire/mesh style materiel.

Depending on the amount of fence we're talking about, another option is to install a topper that comes in at 45 degree angle and is a foot or more in size -- the reason this can work is that chickens tend to walk clear up to the barrier (fence) and then try to get over it. Because of this they will rise up at the fence line and end up impacting the angled barrier at the top rather than going over the fence. It can be done with bird netting, poultry netting or other wire/mesh style materiel.
This maybe a good option

I do want to caution people when they decide to clip wings. Look before you clip. Check the feather shafts first. If there are one or more that look engorged, bluish color, that feather is being fed by blood and developing. Do not cut it. You will have a bleeder on your hands. Good idea about the angled top barrier!

Back
Top Bottom