Fence question-wire for a movable chicken tractor

country lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
NW Tennessee
We want to buy light fencing for our chicken tractor. Our pen is adequate but we want to give the ladies more "wing" room. We plan to give them mostly supervised run during the summer because we do have red-tail hawks around so the top won't be covered. The pen will be moved daily or every two days.

Any ideas? Your experience?

I use the plastic poultry netting with those white step-in style fencing posts.

3450190450_6f5693e2be_b.jpg

but my chickens are already inside a solid wood fence, as you can see. The farmers up the road use it out in the fields with their chickens and giant tractors.

Thanks for the info. We will stop in at TSC Monday. Aren't these chickens the most fun! One RIR squawks constantly--if she were human female she would have a "talk" show!
smile.png

lol. They are fun. Theyre most fun when theyre OUTSIDE and not in brooders anymore.

ugh i cant stand RIR's, glad you're enjoying yours! lol. My favorite is a black australorp i have (henrietta) that has green eyes and a great personality.

Thats stuff is cheaper at home depot or lowers, btw. The fencing and the posts.

OKay, iam tired and retarded today... THAT stuff is cheaper at home depot or LOWES, btw. jeez, that was intellegent. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again. I will be in Lowes on Monday.

I like all my breeds, that's why I have a variety. I wish I had a Wellsummer since they lay really dark brown eggs, but these chickens will never hit the frying pan--more chance of dying by the hand of a terrorist.
smile.png
They are Lifers, I'm afraid.

Our BR makes a skidding noise like a tire schruching--is that a word--when she wants out of the coop. They sit on the roost and look out the window in the morning and as soon as they see us, they start complaining. Our quietest chickens are the buff and black australorps and one RIR.

Any time we are outside they watch us because we hand feed them clover, blueberries, etc. Spoiled rotten!

Back
Top Bottom