Fence ramming Pit Bull tried to get our babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBChicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2010
PA
I'll make this short because I'm So ticked off about it I'm probably not even thinking straight.

We had company tonight and we were standing around the run admiring our chickens and the neighbors stupid dog ran down our hill and rammed the run loosening the fence post and denting in a big part of the fence! Right in front of us!

I can't believe how aggressive this thing is! I yelled at it and he zipped back up the hill, disappearing into the bushes.

DH threw a fit and we decided to wait to talk to the neighbors...(he's only spoken to them once to ask if he could track a deer through their property), so it's not like we have any sort of relationship with them.

Our babies are secure in their coop tonight, but I'm not feeling real secure about letting them out tomorrow. Money is tight right now so an electric fence is out of the question....ugh....

I know I have several other options here but I guess what I'm asking is what the majority of you would do in this situation.

Chances are that he just saw 'chickens' and not the wire around them. Hopefully thats the case. Ramming the run is very different than just running to the chickens and not seeing the wire.

I'd ask the neighbors to please keep their dog up and if they don't, you have a choice to make. Either file on them for dog at large and go through that process or SSS. Everybodys got to do what they've got to do. Hopefully the neighbors care and will keep him up.

agreedd he may not come back seeing how he hit his head but more importantly for you to decide is since you have no relationship with the neighbors how would you like it to proceed ...if you give them the benefit of the doubt initially they may respond correctly and control the dog ...and if not then do what you have to but I wouldnt bury the dog where they can find it and I wouldnt tell them I had to do it either
big_smile.png
...in the end killing the dog would be MY last option and I would prefer to try other methods first but to each his/her own
wink.png

Contact them immediately. Same info. as noodleroo outlined, but let them know that it growled at you/aggressive posturing, etc. when trying to get it to leave. They may not care about the chooks and, after hearing about what it did to the fence, they might get off the phone and compliment the beast on being `such a tank!'

If they think it might be behaving in an aggressive fashion towards a human their efforts to curb the vermin's wandering will probably be pursued with a heavier gauge chain/higher fence (you'll also be positioned to explain even less if it shows up again for a final time).

Since all us poultry aficianados will always get between the dog and the flock, the dog will always be coming for us, and the law is very clear about dogs coming after humans (will usually result in the dog owner's immediate reaction being fear of law/lawsuit - not anger towards someone offing fido for doing `what comes naturally', i.e., eviscerating some worthless chooks).

To be perfectly honest my first instinct was to shot him and bury him on my friends property 20 miles away.

But I have tremors and I'd probably end up shooting myself in the foot.

I'm still thinking over how we're going to deal with the neighbors...all of the advise given is noted and appreciated....I'll sleep on it and hopefully have a better perspective in the morning.

I just wish he'd go away

chickensducks&agoose :

Great. My neighbors just got a pitbull, and I don't know how it'll do with our free-rangers... I hope my neighbors know how expensive replacing birds can be...

I've known some very sweet, well trained pitbulls. Not all are snarling beasts...BUT...they, like all dogs, have the potential to be. As long as your neighbors train and take care of their dog, you will hopefully be OK, at least from their dog.​

Has the dog a history of running loose? Does he have a fenced yard to stay in when he is not inside? What are the leash laws in you state/county/city? How large is your property? Has he ever wandered or ran over to your yard before?

I would want answers to all these before I made a decision. There is a big difference in a dog who rarely gets out and one who runs loose all the time. I will say that if a dog can loosen the fence post and dent the fence, a wild predator such as a coyote or raccoon or bobcat can and will break into the run and get your birds. What kind of fencing do you have? Whatever it is, it is insufficient for protecting your birds. In my backyard I set up fairly minimalistic pens--but the entire yard is enclosed by a tall block wall that is VERY secure.

hell be back ELECTRIC FENCE ELECTRIC FENCE ELECTRIC FENCE Did I mention you need a electric fence wire around that and a fencer that does not chop you want a weed burner type hell hit it once and not be back

I would do exactly what i did in a similar situation.

I would go to the neighbors and let them know that you have chickens at your house, that their dog came at your chickens aggressively, that you don't want to hurt their dog, and what you will be forced to do if it happens again.

It's only fair to let them know.

I'm not happy or excited to shoot anyone's dog, but i will if i have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom