1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fence Size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thomi, Feb 12, 2009.

1. thomi

thomi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Elgin, SC
  2. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    I think you would need to put chicken wire inside that for about 2 feet high or so. A lot of chickens could walk through that.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Chickens would go through that like water; also if they *want* to fly over it, they will. (Will they want to? You can't really tell in advance very well. If it is inconvenient to you for them to hop the fence, they prolly will [​IMG])

Good luck,

Pat

4. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    I think that your fence is to big of holes. Along with chickens being able to walk through, racoons, skunks, or whatever could put their paw through and swat them or something like that. So a smaller hole fence would be better

Good Luck![​IMG]

5. thomi

thomi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Elgin, SC
    Thanks, that is pretty much what Donna thought. I think we will look at poultry netting at the bottom when we get to that point. We wouldn't let them roam at large unless we were around so I am not too worried about predators pulling them through. When we are not supervising them they will be in the run which will be made of hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by