fence suggestions...

What's your opinion...do you think 3 feet high with a foot or so of flimsy chicken wire on top would be adequate?

Probably, as long as you are OK with the appearance. It should be cheap and quick.

You ate the instigator!!? I gasped then chuckled. I realize that I have 4 pet chickens that happen to provide eggs.

One of my goals is to raise them to eat so I have a convenient way to handle troublemakers. I hatch and raise my own and I think this gives me a more peaceful flock in the long term, plus it helps make my decisions as to which one easier. We all have different goals and methods. A friend that occasionally chicken sits for me called me ruthless concerning how I manage my chickens. I thanked her. She is a good friend.

Hi Willowru, I have used all types of fencing for various livestock so I understand their variables for different animals. Electrified netting is my go too for a good looking fence that can be moved if necessary for unusual conditions. Clipping one wing is an option for flighty birds and short fencing.

This sounds like good advice! If I go with four feet high, 2x4" wire fence, what distance apart would you suggest I place the t-posts?
A lot depends on your location... wind, soil composition, slope, animals to be confined, etc. I probably wouldn’t go much farther than 15’ in any case. We’ve found that the t-posts out in the lumberyard (Menards) are less expensive and stronger than the ones on the shelf in the garden dept. They both work well, but of course heavier is better if an elk tries to run through your fence. :p

As for your wooden posts, we use the 6” green treated ones. Either cut them a few inches below the wire level or sharpen the top or otherwise alter it to avoid perching. You can buy pointy ones intended to be driven in the ground by machinery but they’re a bit pricier and of course you'd have to put them in upside down.:lau

Don't buy stuff at the garden center! Go to a farm supplies store, and Premier1supplies.com for electric fencing supplies.
We use the 8' treated posts, some 6" diameter, and cross braces with 4" posts. It all depends on what you are building! Our tposts are closer to 10' apart too.
Mary
No worries. I wouldn't look for supplies to fence in my chickies at a garden store. In my area we have TSC and Rural King.

Back
Top Bottom