Fences and more for Free: The Wattle-Fence-Club

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Do you know that you can build your own fences, raised beds, shade-panels, trellises and much more for little to no money? If you have shrubs and/or trees on your property you already have the required building material in your possession to build wattle-fences, for example.
What is a wattle-fence? - Pretty simple: You turn the garbage from the last pruning into fences by weaving the most straight twigs between posts, made out of thicker branches. The result looks something like in the picture from Wikipedia below:
1614799917114.png

I have started to build my first wattle-fence around one of the veggie beds to keep the ducks out and i will update this thread with more pictures and text later. Just wanted to get this thread started!
Please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences!

Do you know that you can build your own fences, raised beds, shade-panels, trellises and much more for little to no money? If you have shrubs and/or trees on your property you already have the required building material in your possession to build wattle-fences, for example.
What is a wattle-fence? - Pretty simple: You turn the garbage from the last pruning into fences by weaving the most straight twigs between posts, made out of thicker branches. The result looks something like in the picture from Wikipedia below:
View attachment 2553608
I have started to build my first wattle-fence around one of the veggie beds to keep the ducks out and i will update this thread with more pictures and text later. Just wanted to get this thread started!
WOW!
That is awesome!!!
I want to try this!

View attachment 2553608
I don't think I have long enough sticks though.

Ok, got some minutes between conference calls, here we go:
A while ago i had to clean the second driveway that i have neglected for two years and i collected some material for the first fence. Last Sunday i found the time to try it, so here is what i did…

There were already two 2x2's in the ground that i had used last year with some chicken wire. I poked four additional branches as posts into the ground so that i have a post every 64cm (~2') and started weaving. On the pictures below you can see the posts and my collection of twigs that i had at hand.

While weaving i discovered that many of the twigs were too short to fit between three posts. - Three posts is the minimum you need to keep a twig in the fence. - So i added some thinner branches in between the posts and after i have used up my material, the fence looked like this:

Not bad for a rookie, hmm?! 😉

Yesterday i gathered some more material, i have an almost endless supply at hand as i was lazy the last two years and have neglected the open areas on my land and shrubs and trees have started to take over. Here is the result of about one hour of work:

Those twigs will be cleaned up today (after 5pm) and woven into the fence, i will post an update later.
Unfortunately i think i broke my pruning shear yesterday:
full

That blade looks bent. ☹ Not sure if i can fix this. Does anybody have a good recommendation for a reliable, yet affordable pruning shear? [No, not the Harbor this time…]

Back
Top Bottom