Fencing for my run

browland84

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Cleveland ohio
My Coop
My Coop
My husband and I are building a new coop and run for our chicks. Our original idea for the run was to make it completely out of hardware cloth and have it completely enclosed with a top. However, we have discovered that it's outrageously expensive so. We were thinking what if we took chicken wire and used two layers of it? It would still be half the price and it should be about the same as far as protection. Are we correct in thinking this? Or is it better to spend the extra money?

Personally I think you would be better off doing it right the first time. I feel that two layers of poultry netting will not stop dogs or coons. You might could get away with using welded field fence with a layer of poultry netting on the inside though.
Just have to weigh the costs.

David

Two layers of chicken wire won't do it.

Welded wire fencing is better. If you aren't making this a Fort Knox run and are locking them up at night welded wire may work for you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/robbdebbies-chicken-coop
These folks did welded wire with hardware cloth lining and apron.

My runs are just welded wire...however I have lost chickens to hawks pulling them through the fence (also owl pulling through chainlink). If you line the welded wire with chicken wire this will prevent that.

Raccoons will also do a tag team approach and chase chickens from one side to the other, then pull them through if you don't line welded wire and chainlink with something.

Raccoons and dogs can tear apart chicken wire as if it isn't there though. You need the stronger fencing IMO.

For total predator protection, you need 1/2 inch hardware cloth (rats and weasels kill chickens).

Last edited:
I recommend the hardware cloth it costs more but in the long run you'll be happier you did it right.

Hardware cloth is certainly the way to go. But yes, it is expensive. If you can't justify that, here is another good option. Make the run and the top out of welded 2x4" fencing. This is much cheaper to purchase, and is incredibly more strong than any hex type poultry wire. Then use hardware cloth around the perimeter of the run from the ground up about 2 feet. Bury some 1' down, or create an apron to prevent digging under the fence. The welded wire will prevent any large predators from getting in. And the hardware cloth along the bottom will prevent them from reaching through and grabbing a chicken as it walks past. As an example, a 50' roll of 6' tall fence will run you about $50. http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...-50-welded-utility-fence/p-1356929-c-5769.htm

Keep in mind, though, that using this type of fence will still allow weasels and the like to get inside the run. They are mostly a concern at night, so be sure to lock them birds up tight every evening.

Last edited:
My own dog was able to go through two layers of chicken wire like it was dental floss. I had believed that the chickens were safe from him since we had done it for two years but the moment I put some new chicks into my run, he went through in less than a minute. We now have chicken wire re-enforced with chainlink and he tests it daily.

Chicken wire will not keep out determined predators.

The fenceI have used around my run for the last 7 years has been the green welded wire garden fencing you can get at any home depot or lowes. I haven't had any issues with anything breaking through it. Dogs, raccoons etc. I do lock my chickens up at night though so the fencing is just to protect them during the day time.

I also am putting up a new run for my chickens.
We will be using 5 foot tall , 2"x4" welded wire with chicken wire on the inside up the first 3 or 4 feet. Also will be running a strand of electric around the outside about 6" high. This should do the trick. I have lost too many chickens to raccoons and fox.

My run is made out of dog kennel panels. I had a neighboring house sell and the new owners were going to throw out the existing dog kennel on the property. They gladly let me have it for free, even delivered it to my house for me on the back of his truck.

I scan Craigslist all the time and you can find some pretty cheap dog kennels if you keep looking and catch them before someone else does.

The sides and top are made out of the kennel panels, I also added 2ft of chicken wire around the lower section of the kennel panels. I also took sections of chainlink fence and used it as an apron around the outside of the run. I do not close my chicken coop so wanted a run that was secure, which is what i have now.

might be worth watching craigslist for kennels near you. I'm keeping my eyes open for more cheap ones for when Chicken Math hits me.

Thanks everyone! I think for the bottom 4 ft we will be using hardware cloth and the top and the top 3 feet chicken wire. We don't have a ton of predators here and I'm usually home all day. Plus the chickens will be in their coop at night. All should be well.

Back
Top Bottom