Fencing for sectioned off area

April Barta

Songster
Oct 16, 2017
Puyallup, WA
Hi there!! We built an 8x8 walk in coop with an attached covered run of 11x23. We’ve been letting our juvenile babies free range in the yard for the last month or so. However.... there is poop everywhere. EVERYWHERE! I have 3 kids that will be wanting to play outside as Spring makes it’s appearance. So I’m needing to fence off an area for an affordable price. And also have access into this area. What are some recommendations? We’re thinking horse fence and T posts. But how do I get in the area? How tall of fencing do I need? There are 3-4 chickens that have no problem walking on top of our wood fence and it’s about 4.5 ft tall. But I’m thinking as they get older maybe that height won’t be a problem? Thanks!

Consider a movable tractor. This way you control where you want the chickens grazing. How many chickens do you have?

Cattle panels are usually 50 inches high. You can use them to section off area, make a gate in one end. Clip the wings of your flighty chickens. Just one wing does the trick.
WISHING YOU BEST... :highfive:

Consider a movable tractor. This way you control where you want the chickens grazing. How many chickens do you have?

Cattle panels are usually 50 inches high. You can use them to section off area, make a gate in one end. Clip the wings of your flighty chickens. Just one wing does the trick.
WISHING YOU BEST... :highfive:
We have 17. Our set up is in a corner of our yard So I only need two sides fenced off as the other two sides is our property line that’s already fenced. Cattle panels? I’ll google that now. Thank you for your help!!

Cattle panels make good fencing if you get the right sized squares and are easy to put up. However if budget is an issue you can use t posts and garden mesh fencing that comes in a roll. It thinner and lighter than livestock mesh fence and comes in a roll with 2x4 mesh. It also comes in a couple of colors. Then add your gate.

There's also electric poultry netting. It comes on a roll with posts to set it up. You could easily string it up and/or move it to other sections of the yard if you wanted to at other times.

I have used 2"x4" welded wire fencing. You can get 50' of it for about $35. I have had juveniles squeeze through the holes and escape before, so don't count on it to keep the babies in, but once they are grown, no issues.

Chickens can walk through a cattle panel. Squares are 8x6.
Thank you for pointing this out. I think a lot of people view any panel sensing as cattle panels and are unaware that there are actually different types of panels. There are hog panels she panels horse panels the differences being the gauge of the wire, the height of the panel and the sizes of the openings in the panel. Being aware of this and offering recommendations based on fat is very important so that you're sure that what you send the person to the store looking for is going to be what they get and have the effect that they're looking for.
If using true cattle panels a person would have to then covered the panel with an additional wire such as poultry netting or other product that would effectively close those larger gaps and leave only smaller gaps through which the birds are unable to pass

I’m thinking a 2x4 square in a 5’ x 50’ roll and some T posts. I’ll probably need 2 to give them the space I really want. Gate? How do I get in and out of this thing? Lol nothing fancy. I’m thinking of putting a T post 3 feet apart and just wrapping a rod on one side and then a couple hooks to secure it. Or bungee cords? Here is a pic of the coop and run for reference.

Attachments

• C0BF2443-3876-47E2-A426-1277E75E6895.jpeg
    C0BF2443-3876-47E2-A426-1277E75E6895.jpeg
    765.5 KB · Views: 15
And for the record, my juveniles are 17 weeks old... I think I can just call them pullets at this point. Lol. I just saw how tiny they used to be!!!

I think you said you have two sides that already have wood fence... You can attach your gate hinges to the wood fence on one side. The gate can be simple. I used a piece of plywood cut to the appropriate size for one of my gates and screwed a board down the length where the hinges would be for reinforcement. So you have the wood fence then then the gate then you need either a wooden upright fence post or a metal t-post or something and then your wire fence. Your gate can latch to the upright or t-post with bungees or a chain or you can buy a gate latch.

Back
Top Bottom