fencing issue

fullerfamfarm

In the Brooder
May 18, 2015
Texas

Hello guys
We have been having some trouble keeping our feathered friends in the chicken yard, its like chicken run part 2 :)
The chicken yard is nearly half an acre, the fence is 4ft. They all have clipped wings but this does not seem to be an issue to our polish and orpington roosters. Any advise?
Many thanks!
Katie

Last edited:
hmm... that is a hard one. First let me say that that is a beautiful set up and I am a little jealous.
wink.png

As for solutions, as the person above me wrote you could do higher fences (Maybe a fence extension), or you could do bird netting over the top. Another option may be to put something on the top of the fence to make it lean in a bit. I googled lean in fence and came up with this: http://wolfdogproject.com/fencing.html It may be a little over the top as it is meant for wolves but it gives you an idea of what I mean. Good luck finding a solution.

Extend fence up a couple feet with some chicken wire, leave it floppy on top edge so they can't land on top and then go over.
Leaning it in a bit wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
I was just coming here to post the same question, we have almost the same exact set up as you. Our fence is 4' cattle panel, a very large area, and the birds hop right over, immediately to be killed by the dog that is there to protect them. I'm trying to find the most economical solution, either bird netting or chicken wire at the top. It's a challenge when you have a large area to fence.

Well its nearly done, looks a bit like a prison yard ;) we took 1 1/2 inch pvc with an elbo and slipped it down on the tposts then attached more welded wire at an angle. I sure hope this does the trick. Makes me think of that chicken run movie! Potpie for dinner :)

Well its nearly done, looks a bit like a prison yard
wink.png
we took 1 1/2 inch pvc with an elbo and slipped it down on the tposts then attached more welded wire at an angle. I sure hope this does the trick. Makes me think of that chicken run movie! Potpie for dinner
smile.png

Wow, y'all don't mess around!!
Time will tell if it works.

Back
Top Bottom