Protecting a fence

Sarah2020

Songster
Dec 26, 2020
Hi there! We are looking at expanding our run up next to a brand new fence that was built between our neighbors property and ours. The concern here is that if the chickens have access to dig right along that fence line, then they’re gonna damage the bottom half of the wooden fence. Does anyone have any ideas for how to protect the wooden fence from the ground up to about 3 feet?

You wouldn't need to protect up the fence, just stop them from digging at the base of it, right? Pavers, or rocks on the ground there ought to do it.

In the meantime you can usually make them dig whereever you want for hours, by turning over one garden-fork full of earth there.

Hi there! We are looking at expanding our run up next to a brand new fence that was built between our neighbors property and ours. The concern here is that if the chickens have access to dig right along that fence line, then they’re gonna damage the bottom half of the wooden fence. Does anyone have any ideas for how to protect the wooden fence from the ground up to about 3 feet?
Don't build the run right next to the fence.
You need a couple-few feet between to maintain both the run wall and the fence.

Don't build the run right next to the fence.
You need a couple-few feet between to maintain both the run wall and the fence.
This^^^^^^

Don't lay boards against the fence, they will hold in moisture and prematurely rot the fence. You would also need to did alongside the fence to bury HC to prevent critters from digging in from the other side. If the neighbors have a dog, it might fixate on that area and dig.

Leave enough room to walk through comfortably. Easier to maintain the fence, and you can use a string trimmer to keep the grass down.

I wouldn't put it against the fence - not because they're ruin the fence (they won't), but because you can't control what's able to dig under the fence from the neighbor's side unless you install anti-dig devices there.

If you are going through with it, put concrete or pavers or block wall caps along the edge to keep them from digging against the fence. Don't use rocks, my chickens easily move 6-8" cobble stones and pieces of firewood, etc. I've tried bordering with - but the pavers and wall caps usually work for me

The upper sections of fence won't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom