Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends,

i have never build a »real« fence, so far i have just hammered some 2x2 into the soil, tacked some chicken wire to it to tell my ducks where they can go and where not. Now since last week we have a problem with a dog from the neighborhood who is owned by unreasonable dog-owners [see: Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do? ] and it seems we have lost one of our beloved ducks to an undiscovered dog-injury [see: RIP Curiosity Duck, June 2018 - January 13th 2021]. 😥

Anyways, every coin has two sides and the positive outcome of this is that the local Secretary of the Treasury [aka wife] has approved a reasonable budget for an electric fence.
My idea is to erect a sturdy cedar fence post every 12 meters (~40') with three T-posts every 3 meters (~10') in between to support the poly-wires.

Here is the problem: I started to dig the hole for the first cedar-post in one corner of my land but after just 40cm (16") i hit the bedrock.
I assume, that this is not deep enough for a post standing 1.8 meter (6') tall above ground. Especially if it is the corner post that will be pulled on into two directions.
The posts i have are 2.45m (8') long, so the plan was to sink them at least 60cm (2¼') into the ground.
Can anybody give me some idea how to construct a sturdy corner post when there is only 40cm of soil covering the bedrock? - Other than rent a jack-hammer!
Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Here is a picture of the post hole i dug, as you can see it is 50cm deep at the uphill side and 40 downhill:
full

If it is JUST an electric fence, it does not need sturdy posts.
People sometimes put up electric fences with little plastic push-in posts, and they apparently work pretty well.

The point of an electric fence is to zap things so they don't try to push it over. It's an entirely different style of fence-building, as compared with the usual fences that are meant to be sturdy so an animal physically cannot push it over.

(No personal experience with electric fences, but have done some reading on the subject.)

To put up sturdy posts like you describe, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions other than the jackhammer you mentioned.

I also live on land with little to none soil exposed. You do not have to be (2') in the ground. Set your corner post and use angle brace to secure the post. Do you know what I mean? I don't know the fence builders term for the angle brace.
I know what you mean: Two diagonal struts from ½ the height of the post down to the ground. But how do i build those?

It wouldn’t be quite as sturdy but you can build with all T Posts. There are fittings to use with Tposts to build a corner support. I have used them for a field fence and the fence has held up to goat pressure. Here’s a link to the brand I’ve used.

Wedge Loc
That's what i need ! Only for wooden posts!

Back
Top Bottom