1. tay_boe

tay_boe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    When we build our pens how would this design work? I'm thinking of some welded wigeon the ground so nothing can dig through with hardware cloth about 4' and chicken or welded wire the remaining 3' on top of the hardware cloth. So the actual fence will be 7'. We have a tin roof, so nothing is getting through the top. Am I forgetting anything?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Sounds like it would work to me.

I would think 3 ft of hardware cloth is more than enough, and I would use welded wire for the upper section, chicken wire just does not impress me.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It sounds good to me. I'm envisioning a welded wire apron at least 18" wide. I think an apron is as effective, if not more, than burying it and is certainly a lot easier to install. Considering the hardwire cloth, I think 18" is enough, but whatever the width of the roll is would be what I would use. 18" will keep things from reaching through, keep the adults from sticking their heads through, and will keep young chicks in.

I'd also go with the welded wire above the hardwire cloth instead of chicken wire. It is just so much stronger. I use J-clips to connect two different wires but hog rings or weaving wire through can work too. Just don't leave any big gaps between the hardwire cloth or welded wire. You'd be surprised how small a gap a raccoon or such can squeeze through.

I like the 7 foot height on the roof. I think you will too. Just remember to slope it so the rain runs off away from the run. If you build a flat roof, the water will set on it and seep through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by