Fencing

punkin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
East Tennessee
Hey, everyone! First I want to say what a great site this is. I started wanting chickens about 3 months ago. I never knew there was a whole "Chicken World" out there until I stumbled across BYC. My husband and I started building our coop last week. It's 90% finished. We started with some of the designs here and added our own "features". (Will post pics later). I would like to use chicken (bigger width & strength) wire but am afraid something will get through. Would ya'll recommend attaching hardware cloth to the inside of the wire or is that just overkill? Have only saw 2 coons in 10 years and 1 mink (came in our house through doggie door :eek: and :eek:, another story).

Hi punkin and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

We use half inch hardware cloth on the bottom 3' of our main run as predator protection and we're using 1" chicken wire for the rest of the enclosed run...so far, so good!

We also used 1" chicken wire to make a pred proof "skirt" along the outside perimeter of the main run against digging preds. The skirt is held to the ground with home made stakes from old wire coat hangers.

47b8dc20b3127ccec316fc7cedf300000015100FYtm7ho2Yg9vPgQ

Hope this helps!

Dawn

As to windows or vent doors in the "coop" itself I would definitely use 1/2" hardware cloth only. You might have only seen a few coons and a mink, but chances are they are around, and will be attracted to the chicken area. No point in finding out the hard way...:eek:

As far as the run goes, "do as Dawn suggests". Coons have been know to reach through chicken wire, and grab a chicken. You can also bury the hardware cloth around the run rather than a skirt system. Whatever is easier, or you prefer. Both work good against predators.

If you do use chicken wire for the upper half and roof of the run you should have a door that you can close between the coop and the run at night. I have heard of coons tearing through chicken wire, although this may be the lighter gauge stuff.

I used hardware cloth 1/4 and 1/2 . I was told that raccoons can get threw chicken wire . ( might not be true but I would rather be safe then cleaning up dead chickens ) . Here are a couple pictures .

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

Very nice coop, chicken. It looks really sturdy and you've placed it in a nicely shaded area. The chicks will love it.
smile.png

Do you have a roof over the run area? Something to keep the rain out will help the run stay much nicer, and protect your hens at the same time.

Carla

Quote:
I have the hardware cloth over the top because it is under a big cedar it really only get wet wet when it down pours which in washington is not that often but if it becomes an issue I will put a roof on it . I made it so I could put the plastic transparent Roofing sheets on if need be .

Regards
Will

Will,
I just purchased the plastic roof panel pieces, also. I'm building as you did, covering the top with wire, then attaching the panels. I figure this will help prevent who knows what from getting into the hens, while still helping with ventilation. It's about 100 degrees here today!
hmm.png

I'm even thinking of putting on a rain gutter, so the water will drain off somewhere other than where I want to stand or work with the coop.
smile.png

Carla

If you could figure out a way to filter it you could have it run into a water dish for the chickens or get one of those rain barrels .

just a thought
wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice on the fencing issues. This evening we got up most of the posts and bracing for the run. We bought 1" chicken wire and we will see how that goes. I'm hoping the dogs will help with alot of the predator issues. You know, earn their keep:lol:.

I bought some welded wire yesterday 1x1 just like the 2x4 thats used alot. But a coon could get his paw through and thats about it. This I bought was 1x1x48" and $1.75 per foot at our local Co-op.

Back
Top Bottom