Fermented barley

AJ Farms 605

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Hi guys. We are just getting started with learning how to supplement our chickens diet with fermented grains. I have been using barley and notice if I reuse the water I previously fermented I start to smell alcohol. I know with lactic acid fermentation you want a fruity, tart, yogurt smell, well when I reuse the water it is all of that plus alcohol. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this just the way fermented barley smells?

Hello!

If only beer making was that quick and easy. :D

Barley just smells like that when you ferment. Even when you germinate.
It just smells like alcohol to us because barley is used to make alcohol so when we smell it we are like...this smells like alcohol. lol

When you make beer/alcohol with barley you need SUGAR to create alcohol. Yeast eats the sugar to create the alcohol, no sugar means no alcohol. Barley on its own does have the sugar to make alcohol but it is locked away in the carbs of the barley. This is why beer makers need to "malt" the barley then "mash" the barley to create the enymes needed to break down the carbs trapping the sugar. Just fermenting barley for 3 days doesn't have the ability to create alcohol. Sadly D: or you can bet I would make alcohol more often.

You are keeping the barley totally submerged right? If you are then you have nothing to worry about, mold wise.

Hello!

If only beer making was that quick and easy. :D

Barley just smells like that when you ferment. Even when you germinate.
It just smells like alcohol to us because barley is used to make alcohol so when we smell it we are like...this smells like alcohol. lol

When you make beer/alcohol with barley you need SUGAR to create alcohol. Yeast eats the sugar to create the alcohol, no sugar means no alcohol. Barley on its own does have the sugar to make alcohol but it is locked away in the carbs of the barley. This is why beer makers need to "malt" the barley then "mash" the barley to create the enymes needed to break down the carbs trapping the sugar. Just fermenting barley for 3 days doesn't have the ability to create alcohol. Sadly D: or you can bet I would make alcohol more often.

You are keeping the barley totally submerged right? If you are then you have nothing to worry about, mold wise.
Ahhh that makes sense! Thank you for your help! Just wanted to make sure it was Not bad for them! Yes I have it totally submerged in the water! Made that mistake the first time, never again 😂
Do you do a lot of fermenting and foddering ? I want to get into the foddering next!

Ahhh that makes sense! Thank you for your help! Just wanted to make sure it was Not bad for them! Yes I have it totally submerged in the water! Made that mistake the first time, never again 😂
Do you do a lot of fermenting and foddering ? I want to get into the foddering next!

I do! Though my family has exiled my animal feed fermentation and germination to the shed. I was using our kitchen side room, where I also do our "People food" fermenting. But it got the whole family in an uproar. My poor SCOBY/kombucha set up is one family vote away from going to the "sour shed" as my family calls it.

Fodder is easier than fermenting in my book. Just need a pan with holes and an area it can be warm in and wont drip water everywhere. I currently germinate millet only. I can get a huge 50 pound bag at my local farmers supply. Because there is lots to eat outside! No need to germinate as much as I do in the fall and winter. I soak for 24 hours and then drain and water daily for 4-6 days, ready to serve once a week! I have a huge set up in fall and winter though and will offer them new fodder every 3 days. I usually switch off between wheat, barley, and whole oats as those are easy to buy in the 50 pound bags for very little.

In spring and summer I serve mostly new sprouts. In fall and winter I let it go a little longer so they can have something green to peck. My friend sprouts alfalfa and clover as well. It is a little more expensive so I don't do it! 🤣

Daily they are given fermented crumble with kelp meal as their main food. Been doing it that way for 3 years. The kelp meal is new though. Excited to see if I get more eggs this winter.

Back
Top Bottom