Fermented feed feeder

In this pic you can see the level and get an idea about how thick the feed needs to be... It's thick enough that you can pick up a handful but thin enough that it'll run, or rather ooze out of your hand if you hold your palm flat...

High temps of 3°C and lows of -10°C have not stop the fermentation, I assume it's slightly warmer in the coop up against the wall where the feeders sit, but it still free-flowing and its still fermenting away. I have not added heat yet, not bad for November. I'm thinking this means without heat for the buckets I should be able to have fermented feed feeders from April through to mid November without heating it.
:weee

High temps of 3°C and lows of -10°C have not stop the fermentation, I assume it's slightly warmer in the coop up against the wall where the feeders sit, but it still free-flowing and its still fermenting away. I have not added heat yet, not bad for November. I'm thinking this means without heat for the buckets I should be able to have fermented feed feeders from April through to mid November without heating it.
wee.gif
I'm really considering this idea. I'm going to Vancouver Wa in Jan for a week and it would help out a lot.
big_smile.png

Today I made a batch in the bucket feeder with no problem, must've been the crack in the old one that foiled my plans.
For the most part I just add new moistened feed to the tops of my other feeders as they empty.... I think I mentioned before that the feed does not flow into the PVC very well once it is level with the PVC outlet... In other words it doesn't function so great when it's below half full...

Last edited:
You could try tying something between the top of the PVC elbow and the top of the bucket, or making a tripod for the elbow. Either one would take some of the strain off the seal, I think.

Back
Top Bottom