Fermented feed feeder

Well it's cold out all my feeders froze solid and are currently sitting inside to thaw while the birds eat dry feed... Even if I can't figure out how to keep them thawed through the cold, it was still a pretty good run they will definitely come back out in the spring.

Next I'm going to try rotating the feeders. I'll bring out to warm ones in the morning ,bring the frozen ones back in the house to thaw and rotate each day....
Not as ideal as finding a way to keep them from freezing but I'm still working on something that's going to actually function in -20 and colder... There were no heated bases in the store today so I am SOL on that front...

Well it's cold out all my feeders froze solid and are currently sitting inside to thaw while the birds eat dry feed... Even if I can't figure out how to keep them thawed through the cold, it was still a pretty good run they will definitely come back out in the spring.

Next I'm going to try rotating the feeders. I'll bring out to warm ones in the morning ,bring the frozen ones back in the house to thaw and rotate each day....
Not as ideal as finding a way to keep them from freezing but I'm still working on something that's going to actually function in -20 and colder... There were no heated bases in the store today so I am SOL on that front...

I use heated dog bowls all winter for their ff. They shut off when temps are above freezing

I think the heat tapes would burnout trying to do such and a big area. I think the bird heaters are my best bet, i'll have to go to out of town to find one but that's not a problem... I just really like keeping it all outside from start to finish, DH is a good sport but I know he doesn't want the FF in the house...
Thanks for the ideas.

I suppose that is a possibility... never even thought of it. Do they make big ones for big tanks? I imagine the consistency of your ff might have an effect on performance of a tank heater. You'd have to be super extra careful not to bump it unless they make them out of something other than glass now...?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom