Fermented feed feeder

Pics
pop.gif

Definitely going to try this in the spring. I like the idea of the smaller pipes.

The silicone has failed on all of the buckets, i'm thinking of using a two-part Apoxsee or the glue that's actually meant for PVC to repair my feeders. For anyone trying this out find yourself a nice glue/adhesive or silicone that's recommended for plastics.

I'm assuming that the failure is at the seam between the bucket and discharge pipe? Let me first state that I would not consider myself a "handy" person nor do I have great plumbing/home improvement skills. But the thought occurred to me that a square bucket (the kind that kitty litter comes in) might make things easier. It might allow you to get a good seal from the bucket to your feed pipe without having to use an adhesive or sealant.

What if you took a square bucket and cut a hole in the side to snuggly fit a flange. Bolt the flange to the bucket so that it comes from the inside to the outside using a big rubber gasket between the flange and the side of the bucket so you get a good seal. Then use a nice marine epoxy to attach whatever curved pvc piece you want to use as your feeding spout to the end of the flange that is sticking out of the bucket. Or perhaps if you used a threaded flange you could just screw something on.

Admittedly, I have no idea if this would work or if they even make materials that would be an acceptable size for this kind of application. Nor do I really have any idea as to the likelihood of it actually being successful. I just couldn't help thinking that if adhesives are failing then trying a model that didn't rely so heavily on adhesives and instead relied on a gasket might yield better results.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that the failure is at the seam between the bucket and discharge pipe? Let me first state that I would not consider myself a "handy" person nor do I have great plumbing/home improvement skills. But the thought occurred to me that a square bucket (the kind that kitty litter comes in) might make things easier. It might allow you to get a good seal from the bucket to your feed pipe without having to use an adhesive or sealant.

What if you took a square bucket and cut a hole in the side to snuggly fit a flange. Bolt the flange to the bucket so that it comes from the inside to the outside using a big rubber gasket between the flange and the side of the bucket so you get a good seal. Then use a nice marine epoxy to attach whatever curved pvc piece you want to use as your feeding spout to the end of the flange that is sticking out of the bucket. Or perhaps if you used a threaded flange you could just screw something on.

Admittedly, I have no idea if this would work or if they even make materials that would be an acceptable size for this kind of application. Nor do I really have any idea as to the likelihood of it actually being successful. I just couldn't help thinking that if adhesives are failing then trying a model that didn't rely so heavily on adhesives and instead relied on a gasket might yield better results.

thumbsup.gif

Glad to help! I googled closet flange, toilet flange, and offset toilet flange. Looks like there are lots of options. Probably would want to use plastic bolts and nuts too.

Last edited:
Really interested in seeing how this plays out. Getting our first chicks this month. Won't need a big feeder for a little while but have been trying to figure out the best way to feed fermented feed as they grow. Don't mind me as I sit over here in the corner and eavesdrop!

Back
Top Bottom