Fermented Feed in the Winter

MaggieRose2001

Songster
Jun 27, 2021
Bangor, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi. This will be my first winter with my chickens. I feed them a fermented whole grain chicken food and I was wondering if I could continue doing that in the winter. I live in Maine and water freezes after a couple hours. I just didn’t know if it would be wise to feed the chickens wet feed in freezing temperatures. Should I just feed the food dry over the winter? Thanks.

I still give mine a wet mash in the winter, I just adjust the amount down to what they'll eat in 15 minutes or so; I usually repeat that in the evenings. And since it's coming from the house, it's a little warmer, so that's nice for them, too. Pellets are available 24/7 in hanging feeders.
Thank you. That’s kind of what I figured. I just didn’t know if having a wet beak would effect them. I also have dry feed available in a feeder 24/7. But they really love the fermented food. Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone tried putting a heater base under their soaked/fermented feed in winter? I'm thinking about trying it ... I have a large flock, and I'm finding they gobble up the soaked feed very quickly and then I feed them again early evening. I'd like it to not freeze overnight while it's soaking, and not have to bring it into the house.

Has anyone tried putting a heater base under their soaked/fermented feed in winter? I'm thinking about trying it ... I have a large flock, and I'm finding they gobble up the soaked feed very quickly and then I feed them again early evening. I'd like it to not freeze overnight while it's soaking, and not have to bring it into the house.
I only have 10 chickens so I just keep their ferment on my chicken counter. But it might work - at least worth a try. I was curious what you ferment? Do you ferment feed or grains? If grains - what kinds? Thanks.

I only have 10 chickens so I just keep their ferment on my chicken counter. But it might work - at least worth a try. I was curious what you ferment? Do you ferment feed or grains? If grains - what kinds? Thanks.
At the moment, I soak feed overnight and am considering fermenting it. I have a large flock, and buy 1500lb totes from a feed mill nearby. I use a 20% all flock that includes wheat, milo, protein pellets, ddg, corn. and it changes monthly depending on the grain markets and cost. I've found that by soaking it, they eat the ddg and pellets better; before the pellets generally were scattered around the feeders. I also add a bit of yeast and garlic to the mix, as well as black sunflower seeds. I just purchased a couple of galvanized feed pans to put on the heat bases and give it a try :).

At the moment, I soak feed overnight and am considering fermenting it. I have a large flock, and buy 1500lb totes from a feed mill nearby. I use a 20% all flock that includes wheat, milo, protein pellets, ddg, corn. and it changes monthly depending on the grain markets and cost. I've found that by soaking it, they eat the ddg and pellets better; before the pellets generally were scattered around the feeders. I also add a bit of yeast and garlic to the mix, as well as black sunflower seeds. I just purchased a couple of galvanized feed pans to put on the heat bases and give it a try :).
I’m sorry - I’m showing my newbieness ( I know that’s not a word). What is ddg? I like the idea of best bases - do you mind showing me a picture? I currently put mine in a large plastic feed bowl. The problem is the chickens always kick up the bedding and it gets into their feed. I’ve been trying to think of how to feed them using a hanging feeder - but they aren’t really meant for wet feed.

Last edited:
I currently put mine in a large plastic feed bowl. The problem is the chickens always kick up the bedding and it gets into their feed. I’ve been trying to think of how to feed them using a hanging feeder - but they aren’t really meant for wet feed.

Here are some ideas other people have made, that I thought were clever.
One is a long trough, hanging from chains, made from PVC pipe.
Another is just a length of gutter (like for a house roof), with concrete blocks to support the ends.
The third is a gutter suspended by chains.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hanging-pvc-feeder-for-fermented-feed-with-baffle.1165063/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-trough-feeder-using-gutters.1131907/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fuss-free-fermented-feed-feeder.67818/

Here are some ideas other people have made, that I thought were clever.
One is a long trough, hanging from chains, made from PVC pipe.
Another is just a length of gutter (like for a house roof), with concrete blocks to support the ends.
The third is a gutter suspended by chains.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hanging-pvc-feeder-for-fermented-feed-with-baffle.1165063/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-trough-feeder-using-gutters.1131907/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fuss-free-fermented-feed-feeder.67818/
Those are great ideas. Thank you. Do you wash them? I currently bring my bowl in everyday and wash it out. I can’t imagine doing that with a pvc pipe or gutter. But then again, if the bedding wasn’t getting mixed in, maybe the chickens would clean it out better.

Those are great ideas. Thank you. Do you wash them? I currently bring my bowl in everyday and wash it out. I can’t imagine doing that with a pvc pipe or gutter. But then again, if the bedding wasn’t getting mixed in, maybe the chickens would clean it out better.

I haven't personally tried those, so I don't know for sure what those people do.

The gutter through concrete blocks would be easy to slide out and rinse.

And yes, I think the chickens might clean it out fairly well, but it would depend on the chickens and on how much fermented feed you give them-- if you give more than they want to eat, of course they will leave some in the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom