Fermented feed: interesting development

Orpingtons Mom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Fredericksb'g/Culpeper VA
So I work on Saturdays in a feed store that produces their own special formula of feed for horses and chickens. Because they have a special formula they are also eager to keep up with the feed market, or should I say the animal feed market. So today I’m working, and I noticed in the latest issue of Feed Strategy, there is a poultry feed and nutrition survey for 2021.

This is obviously for commercial poultry growers. But I was very interested to read an article that begins on page 30 about fermented feed! The complete title of the article is fermented feed: improve animal performance, ingredients.

Plus, and I quote, “Backyard poultry producers have advocated fermenting feed.”

They (the article) also advocate using fermented feed for pigs.

“There have been many studies feeding fermented feed to laying hens. Results include increases in egg weight and eggshell thickness, as well as improved disease resistance. “

Looks like I’m going to try again.

There's a ton of information on this site how to make fermented feed, etc. I remember maybe a year ago being on it with a whole bunch of good information. It's easy to make and easy to keep! Just put "fermented feed" in search.

I tried fermented feed. But my hens would not eat it. I tried it at 1 day, 2 days and 3 days. They would not touch it. Is there a type of feed that ferments better than others?
Mine don't really like it, either. I tried for a couple weeks, a couple times, and they never got into it. They'd wait for the final feeding of the day (fresh, dry feed), and gorge themselves. I've given up -- all the benefits in the world won't help if they don't eat it!

I tried fermented feed. But my hens would not eat it. I tried it at 1 day, 2 days and 3 days. They would not touch it. Is there a type of feed that ferments better than others?

What feed are you using?

IMO whole grain feeds are ideal for fermenting purposes as you'd want the grains and fines to stick together.

I used Purina chick crumbles first. That, they almost ate.

When they grew older, I switched to Scratch & Peck grower, which is whole grain. They're still eating that, usually moistened for the cohesion you mention! But if I ferment it, they will not touch it all.

I tried 1 day, 2 day, and 3 day fermentation for each. None seemed to hold much appeal for them. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom