Fermented feed?

In the earlier days of fermenting the common recommendation was to keep it covered. In fact there was the tedious recommendation to do a double bucket system: the inner bucket was drilled full of drainage holes. That bucket with feed then was set in a second bucket so that when you lifted the inner bucket full of FF, the extra liquid would drain out the holes into the outer bucket, thus the "back slop". It was suggested that keeping a layer of water over the top of the feed was necessary to keep the feed from spoiling. This was a number of years ago.

Since then, common practice is to mix the feed with enough water so that the resulting mix is the consistency that the flock prefers. I try to mix my FF to the consistency of: drop biscuit dough, soft serve ice cream, thick cooked oatmeal, creamy mashed potatoes. (getting hungry yet?) Even when mixed well, there will be some separation, which is normal, with a loose puffy layer on top, and a more liquid layer underneath. It takes a while to get things to the consistency you like. Even then, there's room for correction. If it's not to my liking before I serve it up, I add some more dry pellets, or an other qt. of water.

When considering the fermentation process, the idea that the feed must have a layer of water over it does not make sense to me. Ever make bread? That bread dough rises just fine, and NEVER has a protective layer of water over it! Granted, there are different types of fermentation, and some types do require immersion. But, i don't consider FF to require immersion.

Guess I stumbled into the current right way then. My crumble or pellet ferment is pretty thick, cookie dough thick I'd say. Wow do they love it. Beaks stay down for a good 15 minutes. They have free choice pellets also so they shouldn't be starving.

My older batch I started on FF later and they aren't as excited. They pick then eat some dry. So it freezes.

The scratch n peck I have just for some variety. I'll try it dryer.

This is an old thread but I had a questions about fermented feed. I am going to try this out so starting out very small but after the 3 or 4 days of fermenting how long is the fermented feed good for? Does that batch have to be eaten all up because it doesn't do well after 4 day? Do you have to refrigerate it?

I'm no expert. But from what I've learned, no it's fine for a few days, just stir daily. In the summer mine got a bit strong smelling until I hammered out the right quantity.
Now I generally "backslop" nightly. You need to have a bit leftover in the container for this. I add enough warm water for the new batch to whatever's left, stir in crumble or pellets, and its bubbly and ready by morning due to the leftover cultures in there. Just wash the new water down the sides to make sure there's nothing for mold to grow on.
Others might have a different system, but this has been working well. I think after one day I might refrigerate in the summer but no experience doing that yet.

I think that's a common starting point. Mine is thick enough to mound in their bowl. A wooden spoon placed into the container of feed stands up, might slowly tip over. If its too wet most of mine won't eat it, so I'll add dry until it's nearly crumbly before I feed it. If too dry it doesn't seem to puff up easily, harder for me to know things are working right.

I think that's a common starting point. Mine is thick enough to mound in their bowl. A wooden spoon placed into the container of feed stands up, might slowly tip over. If its too wet most of mine won't eat it, so I'll add dry until it's nearly crumbly before I feed it. If too dry it doesn't seem to puff up easily, harder for me to know things are working right.
:goodpost: It should be like biscuit dough, mashed potatoes, It should hold it's shape when you put a big spoonful on a plate. If it's to dry or wet, just add a little water or more feed. I don't measure anything, I just add some water, let it sit for 5 minutes, then adjust accordingly. The next day, before feeding, I still may add a little of something if needed, to be the right consistency. Mine don't like it to wet.(messy)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom