Fermented feed

Lamaremybabies

Crowing
Nov 2, 2015
New England
Now I know there are a bunch of threads on this and I have read a few, but I have some questions about fermented feed and figured it was easiest to just ask instead of spending hours searching all the threads for my answers.

So I have heard about fermented feed a long time ago and know how good it is as opposed to dry feed, but never bothered with it (shame on me).

Anyways, my mother is complaining about how much it costs to feed all my birds (it’s not as much as it could be, but I understand), so I went on a mission to find out how to save money. Ding ding ding fermented feed came up. So from everything I read I’m down for starting fermented feed, but I want to do it correctly which is why I’m writing this. So my questions are:
Can I ferment a whole bag of feed at a time? I haven’t really been able to find whether you have to do it by daily servings or if you can do a huge batch. This leads to my second question..... if I can make a big batch how quickly after the initial 3 day fermentation period does it need to get used? I think that is all for the moment, thanks for all your help in advance!

For your 25 chickens, you could alternate (2) 5 gal. buckets. That way, you feed out a bucket on Monday, and refill it. On Tuesday, the second bucket is ready to feed and refill. On Wednesday, you feed out the first bucket again. As for George and the 4 ducks, I have no idea how much they will eat. I would not ferment a whole bag of feed at a time. I have no idea how long a bag will last you. It would require a very large ferment container, and you'd be scooping from that large container into a bucket or feed dishes. IMO, simply easier to ferment in buckets to start with.

For your 25 chickens, you could alternate (2) 5 gal. buckets. That way, you feed out a bucket on Monday, and refill it. On Tuesday, the second bucket is ready to feed and refill. On Wednesday, you feed out the first bucket again. As for George and the 4 ducks, I have no idea how much they will eat. I would not ferment a whole bag of feed at a time. I have no idea how long a bag will last you. It would require a very large ferment container, and you'd be scooping from that large container into a bucket or feed dishes. IMO, simply easier to ferment in buckets to start with.

Alright. Thanks for the help

Also I just realized my signature said 25 chickens, I currently have 12.... oops

On a 3 day cycle you would have 3 batches going at once. So you have 3 days worth of feed going at a time.

Depending on the type of feed you start with, your container may need to hold up to 4 times the volume of the dry feed when wet. Some feeds swell up more than others when you add water. Keep this in mind when starting a batch and selecting container size.

I would not feed anything that's been sitting past day 5.

Back
Top Bottom