Fermented feed?

This is a great article, thanks for the link. I am going to try doing this. First time chicken owner here. Can't wait to see how it works!

This is a great article, thanks for the link. I am going to try doing this. First time chicken owner here. Can't wait to see how it works!
Just be careful and don't do what I did. I didn't ferment mine long enough, and she wound up getting a candida infection from the yeast! I don't know for sure if the fermented feed is what caused it but I don't take the risk anymore.

Just be careful and don't do what I did. I didn't ferment mine long enough, and she wound up getting a candida infection from the yeast! I don't know for sure if the fermented feed is what caused it but I don't take the risk anymore. 

Oh great! Now I think I will have to stop this fermenting thing.

Don't worry about it. The best way to do it is add warm water to the bottom of the bucket. Add Apple cider vinegar with mother if you want BUT it is not necessary. You can add water + grain + 4 days stirring daily. It's done. When you feed it down to about 2 inches from the bottom add water again and stir. Then add grains or feed. Stirring the backslop with the new water is what jumpstarts the whole thing and it's ready the next morning. Beekissed is the lady that started this whole fermented feed thing because she kept reading what they were doing overseas. People in africa were keeping their babies alive by fermenting the grain they fed them. So she researched and began her own. When she started there were about 4 or 5 hits on the internet. Now there's over half a million. She started several of the threads on here. About the meat birds and for laying chickens Several threads trying to interest people in fermenting. It's the most important decision you can make. I started my babies on FF on day one and they are so healthy and happy. I've lost a couple of them due to predators over this year but none to sickness. I love it. Saves me a bunch of money in feed bills and my coop never smells.
celebrate.gif
]

Edited: Don't give up on it. You don't get Candida from Fermented feed. And if you get a white film on the top, that's the good stuff. Stir it in..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom